• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

School aquarium donations?

I have a friend who's a teacher in a Neptune school. She'd like to setup a reef in her classroom and heard sometime in the past that Tetra might have a program where they setup a system for schools. Has anyone ever heard of this or other organizations she could contact?

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I haven't heard of that program. But contact zooqi on RC. He has set up aquariums in school systems, maybe he would know if there are any programs that will help.

Erna

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I also know through the TFH magazine they will assist in a setup. I am not sure if it's TFH or a vendor that advertises.

I'd volunteer stuff, but, as of right now, all I have to share is just some of Ed's xenia that's overshadowing the "zoa terrace" below it. Sorry. I kind of donated all of my older (*but still totally functioning and in good shape) gear to a friend of mine who never set his tank up.

However, if you can't find anything out with checking with large companies, maybe try smaller, family owned LFSs in the area around the school. They might not be able to provide you with top of the line stuff, but many smaller LFSs have been known to donate older gear or things that aren't in a returnable or resellable condition for settintg up tanks for educational endeavors. You can usually get some really cool stuff if you find a good LFS with good people. Either that, or start trolling for people shutting down their tanks by following CL and R/C for give aways.

G'luck! Lemme knnow if you guys end up needing a hand..... or that xenia. :p

Hey

let me know if they can setup a tank/reef, I will donated some live rock, and some shrooms. I also have compacts lighting that can be donated too. Let me know

edwin

did I hear my name here? With the help of other reef keepers and some sponsors from the reef aquarium industry we setup and maintain aquariums at local high schools. We are working on a big sites with all datas for corals propagation and clownfish breeding. Many good reefers :) sometimes donate equipments to us to use and we take any donations we can get. If there are school projects and they need equipment we look and see if we have any they can use. Last year we gave tons of equipment and aquariums to a local high school teacher who set them up so we don't have any aquariums at this moment. Not sure what else is needed but we can check and see. Please check reefnest.com or email reefnest@reefnest.com . :D