• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SE versus DE Hetal Halides

Does anyone have a feel for which is better? I am getting ready to build my light rack and the electronic ballasts I have can drive either.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know the DE's need some type of UV shield/lens or you'll fry your stuff.

If I used DE I would use reflectors with glass shields. That said, I think the protection is for US, not the tank. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't bother the corals a bit, if they were under water.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Actually... it does. Ed recently scorched his tank when his UV shield broke and he ran the lights without the shield.

I think DE might actually be better, but SE more widely available. You could do a search for Sanjay (which would take you to his lighting comparisons) and see which produces better par, all other things being equal.

C

concept3

DE provides a wider distribution of light compared to SE since it doesn't have the mogul base. Also, I have heard that the DE's get overdriven so they have slightly better PAR compared to SE. SE bulbs are easier to get and are a little cheaper, I thought about the DE route, but decided to do the lumenarcs instead as per Sanjay's recommendations when I spoke with him in our December social. I think it'll be a pain trying to obtain that UV shield and also keeping it clean all the time from spray

jimroth said:
If I used DE I would use reflectors with glass shields. That said, I think the protection is for US, not the tank. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't bother the corals a bit, if they were under water.
NO !!! potection is for the tank as well. I changed type of MH bulbs on my Coralife Aqualight without realizing that the UV protecting glass on that @#!$@@! mount is covering only 50% of the bulb (double ended) :mad: . I "aclimated it couple of days for a few hours, and then when I left it burn for 8 hours it BURNED! Half of tank was pure white. :'(

And I have only 150W bulbs.

Having used both SE and DE bulbs, I don't believe there is much difference. The critical part is the reflector in use. DE bulb fixtures tend to have better reflectors, but it's not universal.

If you are going to build your own fixture, go with SE bulbs. DE bulbs run extremely hot, and generally should not be placed in fixtures made out of wood. To make a fixture for DE bulbs you should use some type of sheet metal. Aluminum would be preferred. DE bulbs also requite UV blocking glass. The glass must also be heat resistant. I prefer Robax glass. It is extremely expensive, about 40 cents a square inch.

DaveK said:
I prefer Robax glass. It is extremely expensive, about 40 cents a square inch.

If you want to go quick and dirty, like I did, you can always canibalise one of those cheap outdoor reflectors they sell in Home Depot. The whole reflector with glass that is something like 4x6 costs 7$ and the larger one is 15$.

mladencovic said:
DaveK said:
I prefer Robax glass. It is extremely expensive, about 40 cents a square inch.

If you want to go quick and dirty, like I did, you can always canibalise one of those cheap outdoor reflectors they sell in Home Depot. The whole reflector with glass that is something like 4x6 costs 7$ and the larger one is 15$.

That's amazing! As a registered cheapskate, I at least need to investigate it.

I plan to make a light rack out of angle aluminum, held together with pop rivets. The famous Melev on RC did a nice version of this, and I've been looking to copy it ever since I saw it. I figure if it looks too industrial, I can always velcro some decorative panels on to it later.

Is Lumenarc a kind of bulb?

...And a very impressive one at that . I talked to Mike at Reef Exotics, who I met at MACNA in DC, and he hooked me up with a pair of reflectors, he thinks that 2 X 250 will be enough for my 65" tank. So I went with SE after all.

C

concept3

'swhut I have, 2X250 in lumenarcs, but you got me by a few inches, jim. I have a 60" tank!

What are the dimensions of your tank? (Not a lot of 60" tanks out there, I've only heard of one commercial tank, an Oceanic)

C

concept3

mine was custom made starfire front from miracles aquariums in canada.
60X20X20

I've been using M/H and VHO Actinic for at least 15 years. I build my own frames out of aluminum and pop rivets. My first was for a 55 gal reef, the latest one is for a 120 gal reef. How are you mounting it. I used 18" book shelf supports and verticals to hang the fixture from the wall. When its time to clean the tank I raise the frame up a few notches.

Hey, that's a really clever idea!

I was thinking in terms of one of those "bike lift" gadgets, perhaps even using a remote control actuator to raise it electronically. That's a bit silly though.

Do you rivet the brackets to the frame directly?

You can either pop rivet or use small screws and nuts. I have 3 M/H 175watt and 2 6ft VHO actenic on the one Im using now. I was able to put the M/H over the tank going front to back instead of the normal way most light fixture come. It seems to get more light in the tank that way with little or no black out spots. I picked up Commercial Metal Reflectors from a customer of mine and I cut them to fit the rack.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have any pictures of your setup? I'd love to see it in action!