• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, IL

So...before I get compared with Kathainbowen's most excellent post - let me first preface this with a disclaimer - I do not have great photos or witty captions. =)

Shedd aquarium was built in the 1920s after John G. Shedd donated $3million buckaroos.
It did have the largest indoor aquarium (5 million gallons), that mantle was passed along to the GA aquarium (8 million).
credit: wikipedia!

Anyways - the place was a mad-house the day we went so it was difficult to find an opportunity to take pics...plus with my daughter buggin me to "let's go"...

If I got any of the scientific or common names wrong - please let me know.

The reef-related pics:
Phycodurus eques Leafy Sea Dragon
IMG_2977.jpg

Only I could find this interesting...in an "empty" tank about 2 ft high there was this little guy walking around:

Mespilla globulus Blue Tuxedo (Pincushion) Urchin
IMG_3008.jpg

An interesting display - the tank was acryllic so you could stand above the rays from above.
IMG_3009.jpg

Most tanks did not have much in the way of coral. Here's some FOWLR pics:
Pseudanthias bartlettorum Bartlett's Anthia (Foreground)
Pterapogon kauderni Bangaii Cardinal (background)
IMG_2993.jpg

What was weird about the fowlr tank above was the other critters in there...I'll explain after the pics.

Panulirus argus, Carribean Spiny Lobster
IMG_2992.jpg

I didn't think you could keep these in a tank with tropical fish...frankly I couldn't tell if this was a carribean species or one from the pacific since the fish were from the pacific.

Ophiarachna incrassata Green Brittle Star
IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

I could be off-base here but these guys look like incrassata's - which have been documented to feed on fish. Surprised they kept these (several large ones).

I didn't find any tanks with SPS - most were LPS. Most LPS tanks were infested with these:
IMG_3019.jpg

Was disappointed to see this clam's mantle pulled back...nothing in the tank appeared to be irritating it but who knows what lighting or water chemistry was.
IMG_3020.jpg

After a while I got bored and took this pic:
IMG_3023.jpg

It's the skimmer for the frag tank they had - which wasn't much to look at so I didn't snap photos. People walking by were saying "Look they are growing coral"...and I was rolling my eyes. If it were SPS I'd be awing too - but it was almost all LPS.

Finally saw a log book - sorry about it being fuzzy.
IMG_3025.jpg

On the left it shows that a tank is being kept at about 78.5 degrees. The top most right comments indicate the person stirring the gravel to remove cyanobacteria. While clearly there is room to improve I think everyone in the hobby can follow one practice - and that is to keep a log book - especially in the beginning. It becomes much easier to deduce problems or fix issues that may arise later.

phil519 said:
So...before I get compared with Kathainbowen's most excellent post - let me first preface this with a disclaimer - I do not have great photos or witty captions. =)

.... but they weren't really witty! At least, not to me. They were true! I find myself wishing I had an audio recorder so you could have heard the two of us and some of our actual commentary while there!

But, you my friend, have definitely impressed me. With all the "no flash" curators (*translation: glorified housewives who were given an orientation and felt important) hovering about the sea dragon tank, I couldn't get a good pick of them. They were just cruising about too fast for my camera with no flash on. Beth managed to snag a decent pick before the volunteers jumped on us, but she has yet to send me a copy of her pics. You, however, got an all-out awesome pick of the leafy!

And uber bonus points for doing species identification with scientific names as well as common names! :-*

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Those leafy dragons really are cool, I also like the yellow brittle star...fish eater or not it's really nice!

Great Pics!

thanks....and don't think i got the leafy on one shot...with no flash it took quite a few....

No comments on the green serpent stars eh? Well I'm pretty sure it's incrassata. With that many unless they were overfeeding the tank, I wouldn't be surprised if a bangai or anthia disappeared at night.