• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Should I push for this camera?

It's my b'day on Sunday and our 5th wedding anniversary on Monday, I've been wanting a DSLR camera for some time now (tired of trying to take photos of my fish to just have colorful blurs LOL )not that I'm sure it's in the budget but before I really start pushing for it I wanted to get the opinion of those who know cameras better then I do.:)

Costco has this item in stock now: Nikon D40x 2-zoom family sports & action outfit. http://www.costcoconnection.com/con...rch=nikon&per_page=5&results_page=1&doc_id=-1 comes with the 18-55 and 55-200, 1g card, case, etc. I *think* the included nikkor lenses have VR?

I can't remember the exact price off the top of my head but it was a bit under a grand.

Looking around a bit more amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital...3257518?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1180109055&sr=1-1

&

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...57518?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance which has the VR (still can't find reference if the costco pacakge has the VR lens or not)

Total price shipped would be: $770 and no tax. SD cards are cheap & so are cases. I'm giving up MP's but would I really notice a difference from the D40 6.1mp to the D40x 10.2 for mostly 4x6 & 8x10's?

Thanks again guys, this photo stuff is SOOOO confusing!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like the 18-55 is just DX (they don't make an 18-55 VR). The 55-200 comes in either VR or non-VR, so that's a tough call as to whether or not they'd be including the VR in the package. I'd be surprised, since they're usually more expensive.

If I were you, I'd get D40 with the 18-55 (559) and either the Sigma 105 (377) or the 60mm (429).

Since your ultimate goal is going to be good fast pictures of your fish/corals, you're really going to want the macro lens.

The 55-200 can wait until you're ready to go on vacation and need the longer reach to catch your kids at a distance. Personally I'm looking at the 70-300 DX VR to get the reach I'd really like.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The thing that 10.2 buys you over 6.1 is the ability to crop your pictures. So say you get a great shot of your daughter (or fish) from a distance that would make the perfect 8x10 if you were able to just crop it down some... Well with the 10.2 you have that ability. With the 6.1 that ability will be diminished.

As with anything techno-related, I would buy the least amount of the BEST you can afford for the moment. Just the body and one lens... and having made a sound investment, rather than short suit the most important piece (the body), in favor of getting lenses that you could purchase separately later.

Just my 2c.

Thank you for the response! Cost is a major player right now so I think we'll likely just go with the one 18-55mm lens right now and save up for the others as you suguested. Would you say the 18-55 is a "everyday" type lens? My husband wants to photograph urban type stuff, buildings in the city, subway, train etc while I'll mainly be using it for our daughter and whatever fishy stuff it can manage until I can get a macro. Now to just talk him into getting one :D

"Opps I dropped our 5yr old point & shoot digital kodak in the tank by mistake honey because I was trying to get close enough to get a decent shot" <~~~ think that might work? LOL

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I really like my 17-55 lens for taking every day shots. 55mm is just about "neutral" in terms of depth (with 17 being closer to "wide" and 200 being more like "Tele". The 17 will be good around the house and for your daughter. It will be good for taking well blocked urban stuff, but not good at bringing that weirdo from the subway right up close and personal.

The 17mm works well in small spaces because it is nice and wide.

The closer to 2.8 the lens is the faster it will be. That helps a LOT in getting pics of fast moving children.

Overall I think that's a decent start, but you'll be craving that Macro so be sure to have a plan for it!

LOL @ the weirdo from the subway!

The 17mm works well in small spaces because it is nice and wide.

The closer to 2.8 the lens is the faster it will be. That helps a LOT in getting pics of fast moving children.

That's my number one reason for wanting the new camera, I have so many "that was almost the best shot ever" shots as she moves before the old digital even takes the photo.

Overall I think that's a decent start, but you'll be craving that Macro so be sure to have a plan for it!

Oh I have a plan, and as soon as I figure out how to start a mad rush for anthelia and teal green palys (both of which are overtaking my 50g) I'll be all set hehehe ;)

Thanks again!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That was my main motivation too. Way too many blown shots of the kids as they spin away out of the camera zone before I can get the shot off!

I'm pretty excited... ordered my camera today! Happy Birthday to me!

We ended up ordering the Nikon D40 w/ 18-55mm lens. It came down to two main reasons, 1) reading, reading, and more reading online (especially kenrockwell.com) & 2) price: Craig said it was either the d40 or no camera for now LOL

I also ordered the small external flask that ken recommends since I expect to take alot of indoor shots and the flash bounce should help.

Going to start saving up for a macro asap so I can get the tank shots I want.

Camera should arrive by next weekend, hopefully I can start reading the manual and learning about it while my little one plays outside and at the beach, I know NOTHING about cameras other then that my tired old kodak wasn't cutting it anymore.