• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer Overflow

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My HOB skimmer fed into a 5g bucket just in case of overflow. Well was gone 2 days and bucket overflowed and had about 10g water all over my laminate floor. Guess I should have installed a switch to turn off skimmer when bucket was near full. Live and learn.

All being said the skimmer I have now doesn't have an opening for overflow, Reef Octopus. So when I dose I have to raise the collection as high as possible and then move to down when tank settles in. Its a PITA but works.

Also, I never dose and then leave I stay and monitor.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
My HOB skimmer fed into a 5g bucket just in case of overflow. Well was gone 2 days and bucket overflowed and had about 10g water all over my laminate floor. Guess I should have installed a switch to turn off skimmer when bucket was near full. Live and learn.

All being said the skimmer I have now doesn't have an opening for overflow, Reef Octopus. So when I dose I have to raise the collection as high as possible and then move to down when tank settles in. Its a PITA but works.

Also, I never dose and then leave I stay and monitor.

Maybe while your dosing turn your skimmer off for some time. When I feed the Reef Energy to my tank I turn my skimmer off for 20mins

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks Paul. I assume you have an overflow for your skimmer. Mine doesn't. Just a rectangular box that which is collection cup fits inside the skimmer.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes I have an overflow....a piece of tubing going from the collection cup to the skimmate container. However, you stated that you were collecting in a five gallon bucket. You could just as easily set up a float switch situation in that bucket that would turn off your skimmer if it went nuts and filled up the bucket.

My problem with my RO HOB skimmer is more that if the set screw is not set tight, the skim weight can make the cup drop, which in turn makes more wet bubbles (Rubber band is really only good for recording your last level). It then overflows out the top of the lid in spite the lid baffle. So I set the cup height high and run it fairly dry (after a day I want to see little in the cup, but dark. And I want to see stationary bubbles around the neck top between the lid. Basically the neck gets coated and the skim mate I get is very dark. If it comes out light or I see bubbles out the top initially, I need to raise the cup. At least I can see the cup on the HOB to let me know when it needs emptied and cleaned. My method requires cleaning each time I dump. I use a bottle brush and toothbrush to clean. Also, having something that will make noise if water drops from it if overflowing is useful (2 times for me; luckily I was home). A bucket to catch the possible overflow could help save a floor, but probably won't fit..

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My problem with my RO HOB skimmer is more that if the set screw is not set tight, the skim weight can make the cup drop, which in turn makes more wet bubbles (Rubber band is really only good for recording your last level). It then overflows out the top of the lid in spite the lid baffle. So I set the cup height high and run it fairly dry (after a day I want to see little in the cup, but dark. And I want to see stationary bubbles around the neck top between the lid. Basically the neck gets coated and the skim mate I get is very dark. If it comes out light or I see bubbles out the top initially, I need to raise the cup. At least I can see the cup on the HOB to let me know when it needs emptied and cleaned. My method requires cleaning each time I dump. I use a bottle brush and toothbrush to clean. Also, having something that will make noise if water drops from it if overflowing is useful (2 times for me; luckily I was home). A bucket to catch the possible overflow could help save a floor, but probably won't fit..

I totally agree with you. I thought the rubber band was so you would remember the height after emptying the collection cup. The screw has to be real tight. I did just notice a hole on the left side of where the cup slides into. The hole goes out to the return section but is blocked if cup is set low. Will need to research this now.