• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

skimmer question

i recently picked up a aqua c remora skimmer for my 75g reef off a friend. i set it up this morning & i'm getting tons of air bubbles so i want to know if thats normal & will stop on its own or do i need to do something to stop the bubbles
thanks

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most skimmers go through a break in period that can last up to a few weeks. Once it breaks in, you should see a decline in the amount of bubbles.

i forgot to mention that it's a HOB skimmer so yes they're in the display. i hope i'm not gonna sound too ignorant but will havin that many air bubbles hurt or affect my fish & corals in any way? will the skimmer go thru a break in period even though its used (another dumb question)

not a dumb question -I believe the answer is yes. Everytime I take my skimmer out for a cleaning, it will go thru a "break-in" period again before it gets to that foaming "sweet spot".

Bubbles in the tank aren't too bad unless they are out of control. It really depends on how many and what kind of corals you have in the tank. Fish could care less and probably will have fun swimming thru them (unless they act funny like that yellow tang in Finding Nemo)...haha. Corals generally will not have large bubbles attached to them, so you just want to avoid large bubbles getting caught in corals. For sponges - it's really bad as it will usually result in death. But luckily most of us do not get sponges (don't travel well at all).

thanks for the info guys.so its pretty safe to assume i have nothing to be concerned about.my friend has the same skimmer & runs it with a mag-3 pump with a pre-filter & ihave a rio 1400 with no pre-filter. does it make a difference in the performance of the skimmer whether i use a pre-filter or not?

not to my knowledge, if anything you could try setting up a do-it-yourself trap on the outflow - maybe some filter or something to just temporarily stop the bubbles until the skimmer breaks in.

Anyone else have thoughts on pre-filtering the water before it reaches the skimmer?