• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

skimmer suggestions

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
hey guys, I currently have an icecap k2-120 skimmer. I have a 50g heavily stocked tank with a 20g sump. mixed reef. what's a better skimmer to use? something with a small footprint because my sump isn't that big.
bb7f1748595e3a6c88d67e8330374cf1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I'm not sure how it compare but I loved my Reef Octopus 110SSS I needed a small foot print as well because I had a corner tank with a very tight sump.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
hey guys, I currently have an icecap k2-120 skimmer. I have a 50g heavily stocked tank with a 20g sump. mixed reef. what's a better skimmer to use? something with a small footprint because my sump isn't that big.
bb7f1748595e3a6c88d67e8330374cf1.jpg

Love the tank- have a nano so use tunze 9004

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've been thinking about reef octopus since they have been around forever.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Ive always like the ASM skimmers...i consider them to be workhorse in the skimmer industry. They are not the prettiest but will definitely get the job done...the G model is the smallest model that they have....i used a G1 on my old 75gal and it worked great

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Vertex skimmers work amazingly well, but are also pricy, I had a reef octo before, worked well, but nothing like the vertex I have now

horseplay

NJRC Member
You will probably get a lot of answers. I have limited experience having used only two different ones. And I am partial to the skimz currently running on my tank. Maybe I just haven't used a better one yet. One thing I would say is a separate water level adjustment is very useful. This feature was not present in the smaller skimmer I used to have, a bubble magus nac 7.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've had so many skimmers over the years, so I like trying new technology. I was looking at BM, reef octo, and aquamaxx. those are my top 3. as much as I want a Deltec, they are usually huge and have to be shipped from overseas.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
what dont you like about the icecap?
I actually started tweaking it and lowering the height to see if it makes a difference. gonna play with it some more to see if I get better skimmate. I was thinking it can't handle my bioload, but maybe it just needs tweaking. I only get super dark skimmate once in a while.

how deep do you have the skimmer at and how open is the gate and the air control valve? I have mine in a 43 gallon system and love it, but I have a low bioload. Ive had problems with my reef octopus skimmer on a past 70 gallon tank..i forgot what model it was ... the screws rusted and the outlet pipe hight was higher then they suggest and after getting new screws and sawing the outlet pipe they said the air intake was sucking in too much air. But both companies are made by coralvue... so who knows

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
how deep do you have the skimmer at and how open is the gate and the air control valve? I have mine in a 43 gallon system and love it, but I have a low bioload. Ive had problems with my reef octopus skimmer on a past 70 gallon tank..i forgot what model it was ... the screws rusted and the outlet pipe hight was higher then they suggest and after getting new screws and sawing the outlet pipe they said the air intake was sucking in too much air. But both companies are made by coralvue... so who knows
I now have it at around 7 3/4 inches of water. before I didn't realize it was only in about 5 inches. I like to skim dry, so gate isn't open that much. trying to let that foam work hard to get to the top !!