• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimming wet.

I have a Euroreef ES-4 and no matter how I play with it, I can't get it to skim dry. It either overflows the cup or the bubbles never make it up to the neck.

I've put it in 4"-10" of water and no luck. The output part, I have removed the two plastic tubes, and that's when the bubbles don't make it up the neck, when I put the one tube all the way in, the bubbles overflow the cup. If I put both tubes in, the bubbles will eventually take the lid off.

I'm using a Dolphin 560 pump with it. It's in the first compartment of my sump/fuge.

With mine I have to let it run for a full day to get the bubbles up where I want them after cleaning it. I have found it takes time to build the larger bubbles to get up the neck.

I see dirt, but it's right before the neck. I'll wait till tomorrow to see if the bubbles don't make it up, then I'll put the skimmer a little deeper in the water to see if that helps. If not, I guess I will have to skim wet although I was hoping this wouldn't be the guess by getting a brand skimmer.

Still a no go for my skimmer. If I let it run wet, eventually the bubbles take the lid off. If I run it the other way, the bubbles don't reach the neck and the cup stays empty. I have let each option run for a full 24 hours.

mantis32 said:
Still a no go for my skimmer. If I let it run wet, eventually the bubbles take the lid off. If I run it the other way, the bubbles don't reach the neck and the cup stays empty. I have let each option run for a full 24 hours.

How far are you adjusting it? I only do very small turns at a time to get it up the neck were i want it.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very small turns (1/8 a turn). There should be plenty of ground between no-skimming and wet-skimming. You just need to do it slowly. Start dry and work your way up with a very small smidge of a turn once every hour or so.

I actually took the output tube out. If I put it in, even at it's lowest point, I skim wet. I'm going to try to raise the skimmer high enough to see if with the tube in, I can skim dry and then will try the 1/8 approach as it seems a good way to solve it.