• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

snail eggs

how long before the snail eggs on my glass hatches. does anyone know. i imagine they vary between species but also am thinking there is a range i can work with....
thx in adv.

a general rule of thumb is that the eggs will not hatch (before the mag float cleans the glass)... ;D

But seriously even if you were to somehow keep the eggs aorund long enough for hatching - the snails typically hatch into a motile swimming stage. That is - they get blown around skimmed/eaten by filter feeders/corals, etc etc. In a nut shell - this is why you do not have hobbyists selling mexican turbo snails that are "captive bred".

The only snails I've heard breed readily are stomatella (speaking of which I just saw one in my tank...dunno how or when it was there). I've also personally had a big fat (hitchhiking) keyhole limpet lay a ton of babies in my old 55 (hundreds of baby limpets). They were a big nuisance as they rasped away all the coralline.

oh i see. i may never see baby snails from these eggs or if i do then it would be whatever survives the predation and skimming/filtration.

thanks alot for your insight.

jay

Jay,

Well....my son made me not clean the glass to increase the snail population. It can take quite awhile before they hatch. The only snails that you can get from this are non planktonic larvae. I'm not sure if the ones on the glass ever hatch but I do get some snail population going. I can see a lot of small snails when the lights go out. It was a huge population when I first came back from my business trip in Sept (I had tons of hair algae and cyano) and the snail population was easily over 150+. I don't see as many now and never did identify which ones they were. All I know is, they were not nassarius or turbos. They might be some cerith variety but not positive.

if i can stop being lazy, i'll put up a pic or pm you a pic of these snail eggs. it looks like an airbubble with a sprinkle of white dots inside it.

Sounds like nass or maybe it was those strombus you got from sean. Cerith look like lines. Strombus can and will breed. Nass.....I think certain species are able to in an aquarium. Hard to tell until you actually get baby snails.

I have baby cerith snails and I have never seen the eggs! And I learned a small trick.
my tank is bare bottomed and when i siphon out debres I let the water settle in the 5 gal bucket. The debres settles and the baby snails move around and leave a trail that can be seen, then I use a turkey blaster to suck them up and put them back into the tank.

My astreas are breeding, i noticed one shoot out a milky substance yesterday as soon as the lights came on. then today i see more little bubbles with tiny white dots behind the powerhead so they should be safe.. Smart little things put them right where i can mag float :)

cerith eggs:

th_IMG_0678.jpg

Nerite eggs:

th_IMG_0392.jpg

Close up of nerite eggs:
th_IMG_0364.jpg

Forgot about nerites. Think those can actually hatch too. I have all of them in tank and used to pay attention as to which ones actually got me babies. But since the population waxes and wanes with the algae, I can't keep track anymore.

My Cerith's eggs hatched, but I think they're the ones they laid in the sand, not on the glass, but i don't really know. I do know i have lots of baby snails when i turn the lights off