• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Snowflake Eel, Bursa Trigger, and Scopas Tang free to good home!

12-15" Snowflake Eel
2-3" Bursa Trigger
2.5-3" Scopas Tang

Free to good home! PM me for more info!

Frag Donations are greatly appreciated! (Love Hammers, Torches, and Frogspawns!) <--- Not required, just appreciated :)

So, all three are still here. I'd really rather see them go to a good home instead of my LFS. This way, someone who is low budget like myself, can get some nice fish for free, rather then have a LFS of mine get them for free, and make 30$ a piece off them. So, this will be my final attempt to give them away, after this, I'm going to just bring them to my LFS and let him make his money. So, if you want them, PM me or post on here so I can PM you.

In my experience generally speaking triggers only mess with inverts, not corals. So they are for the most part, coral safe.

Edit: sorry I just hate the terminology of reef safe or not reef safe, because many fish that are "not reef safe" won't in fact bother a coral reef at all, merely your snails or shrimp etc.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I know they are not "Reef Safe" Each fish is different some eat corals and some don't. Does this one eat corals? I don't have inverts in the tank I'm thinking of putting it in just soft corals, leathers and shrooms.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+44+240&pcatid=240

The Bursa Triggerfish is also known as the Black Patch Triggerfish or Blackbelly Triggerfish. Sufflamen bursa may also be referred to as the Bursa Triggerfish. Rhinecanthus verrucosus has a face that is half white and half yellow; it also has a pencil-thin moustache and a colorful mask across the eyes. Another distinguishing feature is a large black circlular area on the abdomen.
It needs a 125 gallon or larger aquarium with rocks and caves. It will rearrange the landscaping and rocks. It vocalizes with a "grunting" sound.
The Bursa Triggerfish needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, small fish and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.
Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1" to 2"; Medium: 2" to 3"; Large 3" to 4"

I would love the eel but if I'm correct they are not reef compatible either? I had a large one in my old FOLWR tank, and I would love another. What does everyone think?

The Trigger never nipped at my Finger Leather, or my Toadstool. That and Zoas are the only softies I've ever tried him with. I can't say for certain that the possibility isn't there that he could though. He's a very mellow trigger though, kept him with a Niger for about a month, with no conflict whatsoever. Also, the Eel doesn't mess with corals at all. Matter of fact, I even have 5 hermits in the tank with him, and he's never once paid any mind too them. The snowflake is trained on Krill, Silversides, and the very rare live feeder (I don't like doing feeders because freshwater makeup and saltwater makeup differ too much). In all fairness though drty, he needs to be housed with fish he CAN NOT easily fit into his mouth. I assumed since he was only about 1-1.5" in diameter, a 2.5" occ clown would be fine with him. Needless to say, it did not go very well. He is housed right now with, the Bursa, and the Scopas. And they live quite harmoniously. So, for the Bursa being Reef Safe, I can't give you a definite answer. But he hasn't messed with my Finger, Toadstool, or Zoas. Inverts he definitely will mess with, especially since I feed him ghost shrimp every so often as a treat. The snowflake has never once eaten a coral, or even a invert on me, but, he has eaten a clown, and a couple of damsels. So, larger fish only with the eel.

The Trigger eats: Mysis, Flakes, Pellets, Silversides, Krill, Bloodworms, GhostShrimp, and has eaten live goldfish/mollies (He steals them from the eel)
The Scopas eats: Mysis, Flakes, Pellets, and Bloodworms (Will sometimes pick at Krill, but isn't very fond of it. He also gets algae sheets 3-4 times a week)
The Snowflake eats: Silversides, Krill (He goes nuts for Krill), and Goldfish/Mollies (Rare, but he does love the chase). I'm assuming he would eat the ghost shrimp as well, but the trigger eats them all before he can get any haha.

So, on that note, PM me if interested!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know they are not "Reef Safe" Each fish is different some eat corals and some don't. Does this one eat corals? I don't have inverts in the tank I'm thinking of putting it in just soft corals, leathers and shrooms.

Ed, the Liveaquaria link to that fish had a linkable part that explained whether it was "reef compatable," and here is what that said: NO

And here is their definition:

Reef Compatible:
Designates whether a species will cause harm to any coral, clam, crustacean
or other sessile invertebrate in a reef aquarium. Some species of fish may be
prone to consuming or harassing corals or invertebrates such as shrimp, anemones
or feather dusters, but are otherwise wonderful reef fish cohabitating well with
soft and stony corals. Such species are classified as Reef Compatible "With
Caution." All reef aquariums are different in the organisms that they house, and
a species that makes a wonderful centerpiece in one reef aquarium may cause
havoc in another. Located in the species description is the information
explaining the organisms that these fish may harm. Use this information to
determine if the species in question is appropriate for your reef aquarium.

So according to Liveaquaria, this guy eats coral! By the way, pretty fish.

Ed, the Liveaquaria link to that fish had a linkable part that explained whether it was "reef compatable," and here is what that said: NO

And here is their definition:

Reef Compatible:
Designates whether a species will cause harm to any coral, clam, crustacean
or other sessile invertebrate in a reef aquarium. Some species of fish may be
prone to consuming or harassing corals or invertebrates such as shrimp, anemones
or feather dusters, but are otherwise wonderful reef fish cohabitating well with
soft and stony corals. Such species are classified as Reef Compatible "With
Caution." All reef aquariums are different in the organisms that they house, and
a species that makes a wonderful centerpiece in one reef aquarium may cause
havoc in another. Located in the species description is the information
explaining the organisms that these fish may harm. Use this information to
determine if the species in question is appropriate for your reef aquarium.

So according to Liveaquaria, this guy eats coral! By the way, pretty fish.

Like I said before, he never messed with any of my softies, but, the chance is always there that he could. I try and be upfront with people, less headaches in the long run lol. So, make sure you guys read up on the things I've posted about the fish! The eel, is, well, a eel. So, keep that in mind! The trigger is not invert safe, and can possibly nip at soft corals and small fish! The Scopas tang, is horrible aggressive towards anything that looks remotely like it, and even some fish that don't. So, all of the fish I'm listing would do better in a aggressive tank. Not a community tank (Except the tang. If you have a large tank, with several tangs, he will probably be fine). So, keep all this in mind before you make up your mind! If you decide you still want them, I'm more then happy to give them to good homes for free! Thanks again!

Also! I will not be at the swap, so pick up is a must!

I also would appreciate any coral frags people would like to donate! It isn't a requirement! Just appreciated :)

Scopas Tang is gone

Bursa and Snowflake still left.

I will hold them till this weekend for people to come and get them. After that, they go back to the LFS. So, if anyone wants them, come pick them up!!