• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

So What is Your Motivation?

it all started for me when i was 10 and a relative game my family a tropical freshwater setup fish and all. I've been hooked ever since. I always wanted to do a reef system but always thought it was too much work and too expensive. It can be expensive and as for too much work i would rather call it a labor of love, I was surprised to find that it isn't really that labor intensive after all. Now I'm addicted but the good thing is that my wife AKA "the Boss" loves it too so she really doesn't give me a hard time about it. I'm trying to talk her into the 180 that I'm looking to upgrade into (keeping fingers crossed).

The best part is forums like this where new people can come in and get great advise from people who are passionate about the hobby and hopefully it is appreciated. I know i definitely appreciate all the information.

thanks
Harry

blange3 said:
Gee Carlo,

I'm shocked that Chemist and Technologist are so high on your list! ;D

(Very, Very BIG and good natured grin implied!)

Yea, I'm sure that was a shocker for most people.
Who would have thought. :)

Carlo

In the early 80s when I struggled with the UGF and "wet/dry" "cannister" filter cutting edge equipment for my saltwater tank - I was really ticked that all that money just couldn't keep that system afloat.

So you could say part of my motivation is just the "challenge" of doing it.

But honestly - I think the behavior, appearance and just wonder of it all - is probably what gets me the most. Some people prefer to watch tv all night...I'd rather spend it on a glass cage. I mean afterall, I am terrible with the lawn and don't know anything about cars - so I gotta put some of my geek-knowledge to some use somewhere right?

oh and my two daughters constantly starring at the tank - that is motivation too. My wife and I will always appreciate the 30 minutes of silence we used to get when our girls could just sit at the tank and be quiet. Parents of toddlers/newborns back me up here!

phil519 said:
oh and my two daughters constantly starring at the tank - that is motivation too. My wife and I will always appreciate the 30 minutes of silence we used to get when our girls could just sit at the tank and be quiet. Parents of toddlers/newborns back me up here!

Amen brother! LOL! My 2 year old LOVES to "feed fishies" (with daddy's help, of course).

Of course, more than that, my teenagers have shown interest in "staring at the glass box" and even my wife (who calls my tank my "other wife") has taken interest as well. All of us around the "box" chasing the "midnight marauder" around the tank (recent pest crab discovery) was a sight to see! And a memory created for ALL of us!

I think we can add "teacher" and "mentor" to the list too. I enjoy being able to pass on what I've learned (sometimes the hard way) to others. And seeing my two year old look at the tank and say "daddy, there's nemo! He's a clown" is priceless! Family is important to me, and the tank has become somewhat of a family center piece. I've even got my wife picking the next fish! :) And with recent events in my family life, you can't even begin to imagine what that means to me! I'll leave that at that, just trust me!

mfisher2112 said:
Amen brother! LOL! My 2 year old LOVES to "feed fishies" (with daddy's help, of course).

One of my father's favorite fish stories was how he came home to a cloudy beyond recognition tank and his toddler son announced, "Daddy the fishies were hungry, I fed them milk!"

Good thing it was freshwater and I outgrew that habit!

blange3 said:
mfisher2112 said:

One of my father's favorite fish stories was how he came home to a cloudy beyond recognition tank and his toddler son announced, "Daddy the fishies were hungry, I fed them milk!"

That was GREAT!

blange3 said:
mfisher2112 said:

LOL! Great story! My oldest daughter (now 17) shared her cookies with my oscar when she was about 3. Apparently, Oscars like animal crackers!

That's the only scary thing about the nano. My two year old can reach that, it's down low, but she can't get to the 90 or the 29. She loves to sit on the floor and watch the yellow headed jawfish in the nano pop out of the rocks. It is kind of cool having her so interested in what's going on in the tanks and "helping" daddy! She's getting pretty good with the mag float too! :) She also closes my cabinet doors for me when I forget. :)