• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

softy's #$&# dying

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ammonia 0
ca 425
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
phos 0
mag 1380
kh 14.7
salinity 1.025
just dipped offending corals(no bugs)
lost 2 torches
leather not looking good
a good size piece of white off of a favia
i presume alk is too high how to lower it?
I do not dose/\ 4 week w/c @30 gal/\instant ocean reef crystals/\running gfo/\chaeto

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
if you don't dose i don't understand how your alk could even get that high? i use instant ocean reef crystals and i think the alk when mixed is around 11 (i think). it could be a combination of the high alk and the zero nutrient levels (nitrate and phosphate). softies and LPS typically like the water a little dirty. what are you using to test your alk?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Yea the Alk is super high, I'm guessing that it's melting them away

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Mix the salt in the bucket/bag and perform a few small water changes. It's possible that the elements couldve settled and not mixed properly

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
or a bad batch of salt.I have read about it ( I know i should test each buckets parameters)but never do/

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Neither do I so don't feel bad about testing.

Is the salt caked up? Like a brownish rock?

What are you checking your salinity with. Has the instrument been calibrated recently? If not, have it double checked by lfs. If your salinity is high, that would explained the high concentration of DKH.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My alk was over 18 and lost many LPS and other pieces. I could not find anything researching except to just leave it be. No dosing of any kind and wait until alk reduces naturally; it took about 2 months for me.
Good luck.

Just lost a torch that waa doing fine and then melted I am due for a water change big time but I have been slacking on it because I felt my water was to clean but I am starting to figure out my leds are actually more powerful then I thought and were causing problems