• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Solaris H Series Lighting

I'm currently setting up a 70 gallon Tech Tank. The corals I have now are LPS's in a 29 gallon under 14k 150w MH's. When I add the corals to the new tank with the Solaris system should I dim the day whites to 50? If anyone has experence with this please respond.

Is the lighting really that bright? I've got my day whites set on 70 right now, but with no corals in it. On 70 the color of it looks close to my 14k MH bulb. How have your corals done with the Solaris system? Have you tried the Solar setting yet?

KillaGoby said:
Is the lighting really that bright? I've got my day whites set on 70 right now, but with no corals in it. On 70 the color of it looks close to my 14k MH bulb. How have your corals done with the Solaris system? Have you tried the Solar setting yet?

I am not sure if it is actually the "brightness" of the lights that burns the corals. I think it may be that the solaris is more directional instead of spread out and then more intense on the corals.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This company at MACNA had an LED lighting solution that would burn your eyes right outta your head. The reflectors in his fixture reflected each LED from 4 points around the LED so each LED looked like a collection of (at least) 5 bulbs. It was amazing what the reflector did for that fixture. I think that if that's what's coming down the line they will be competive with MH in the not to distant future (with the exception of the shimmer aspect).

The guy who designed the fixture is also working with Charles Mazel of Night-Sea fame to increase the POP from the corals. Good stuff coming.

you might have to move some of your stuff down for a while till they get used to the light i started mine at 50% white and blue and still had bleaching till i moved them down to the bottom and SLOWLY moved stuff back up also the BLUES are much brighter i have had mine almost a year and everything is doing great