• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

some corals not looking good after water change

ryanpal

NJRC Member
hey guys.

last weekend i did a water change. after i noticed some of the corals seemed to be acting weird. the candy cane coral started to retract to it's skeleton. some sps started to erode away and my montis (sunset, pokerstar, reverse sunset) polyps started to retract and fade.

other corals seem fine.

i decided in case there was something wrong with that water to do another quick water change, which i did 4 days later. i checked the water parameters and they all seem ok. dkh a little low (6). everything else is fine. i'm not sure what could be the problem. one other thign i did notice was the glass of one of the halides was off leaving the insides exposed. i don't think this should affect anything but figured i would share it in case.

i don't see things improving much and it's hard to say if they are getting worse. any info appreciated.

thanks,
ryan

i dont know much.. but i think that maybe since the light is exposed as you say it is, it may be causing the corals to be getting too much light.. i would look into replacing the missing piece, and fast just in case that is the issue.. you wouldn't want to lose anything.. again i dont know much, so someone can correct me if i am wrong

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ryanpal said:
i did notice was the glass of one of the halides was off leaving the insides exposed. i don't think this should affect anything but figured i would share it in case.

On some type MH Bulbs, the glass shield is a UV Shield. Without it, you would burn the corals.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
i replaced the bulb with an older one. i'm hoping that is the only issue, we'll see if they recover. i'll post back if no progress is being made.

thanks for the info

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you have double ended bulbs, that glass is the UV shield and will kill things if missing.

You may be doing it already. Its a good idea to have a heater for your fresh mix. I keep a powerhead and heater in my salt mix to match the same temperature in my tank to reduce any change or stress to my reef. good luck with it and get that glass replaced they are cheap