• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Spacing for SPS?

Before I ask the question, i know the answer to this question will be 'it depends'. Knowing that this is the case and I cant answer the it depends expectations...

How much average space between an 'unknown / general' sps do you generally try to provide? i have a wonderful 18.5 inch cube nano. I have been trying to give some reasonable growth room for my sps but am wondering am i being too generous with the real estate...meaning i can add some more prized sps? Am I placing them too close? As of now, I am trying to provide anywhere between 4-5 inches between each frag. I want to add more but am debating at what point should i stop and just let them start growing in. I have seen many tanks early in their journey very tightly packed and many very generously spaced...but you never see the before and after.

Anyway..more of a discussion point than something that is pressing...especially given the it depends paradigm and the fact that opinions are just that.

Thanks

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Trying to Social Distance your coral.....HA

For SPS you may be able to do 3 inch spacing. Anything with stinging feelers need to be placed farther away from other corals.

john90009

NJRC Member
If you decide to frag your corals frequently you can keep them less then three inches. In they are the same species they may grow together without stinging and killing / they will just overcrowd the other. They will grow towards the flow and they always grow the way you don’t want them to grow so each coral is a crapshoot lol

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Acros can be pretty close but montis need space as they grow faster and can encrust over other corals. What corals do you have?

millipora, Tenius and acropora plus one or two 'unknown' variety i got from a random frag pack. As of now, they are 4-5 inches apart so probably plenty of room. just wondering how much more I can shove more in because another AquaSD live sale is upcoming and i have a credit :D

john90009

NJRC Member
This is only a biocube, and only the top half had sps frags but you can cram a lot in a small space, just got to frag to keep them In order

Attachments

• 24564AF3-3AD6-43F1-88A3-55C4E8C984AB.jpeg
    24564AF3-3AD6-43F1-88A3-55C4E8C984AB.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 17

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Whenever I start a new tank I like to load them up being mindful of Montys as Mnat has said. As they grow you can always remove what your really not happy with + more room. And if they are close you will want to frag sooner.
I believe this is the beat way to have some impact early on without waiting two years for your tank to look good.

Here ya go..note..this is a slight haze on the jpegs as these were taken before my uv sterilizer was installed

Attachments

• Video.mov
    1.9 MB
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 13