• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS browning out FAST!

Hello all thanks in advance for any answers you may have. I added atinic light with my 150w halide thats over my 29g some of my lighter color acros are browning out in the last 4-5 days can it be the new atinic that i added in?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Merv. It SHOULDN'T be the problem, but I guess you just never know. How many watts and how many hours a day? Pure Actinic? What kind of bulb? How long has it been on the tank for?

giesmann pure atinic T5 been running for close to 2 weeks now 12 hours a day i just dropped it to 2 hours morning 2 hours at night my halide bulb is 150 14k phoenix. I did a water change today and also noticed my skimmer wasnt workin right air adjustment was off set so probably lost over a week worth of skimmin could that be a cuase? thanks guys for your help

Aceswild said:
giesmann pure atinic T5 been running for close to 2 weeks now 12 hours a day i just dropped it to 2 hours morning 2 hours at night my halide bulb is 150 14k phoenix. I did a water change today and also noticed my skimmer wasnt workin right air adjustment was off set so probably lost over a week worth of skimmin could that be a cuase? thanks guys for your help

Yes, that certainly could be the cause. You may have too much nutrient build-up since your skimmer wasn't working properly. Now that you've done a water change and fixed the skimmer, hopefully you'll see improvement.

Can you tell us about your water parameters? Also, are all corals affected?

i have a small frag of montipora that browned out on one side. it isn't spreading so i'm not too concerned but my guess was either.... that side was too close to the tank heater.... or when i attached to the substrate it touched a bit of the glue i used. anyway, good luck.

Been so busy Haven't had a chance to get back on. Thanks all for all your replies and help. I tested everything in my water seems to be all in check only thing was my nitrate was a bit up there looks some where around 10-15 would this brown some corals? And no not all my corals are browned out just a few of my acros. I'm getting some water mixed for tomorrow to do 40% water change to drop this down a bit. PH 8.3 cal 480 alk 9.0 ammonia 0.0

forgot to add this in salinity 1.026 I check this everyday so its stable my temp. 75.6-76.00 at nights - 78ish 79.8 during the day. Yea winter sucks! for stable temperature.

Aceswild said:
forgot to add this in salinity 1.026 I check this everyday so its stable my temp. 75.6-76.00 at nights - 78ish 79.8 during the day. Yea winter sucks! for stable temperature.

I disagre on the last statement I get a stable parameters during winter . I can run my lights longer and not to worry about it reaching 80 above.. :)

Agree with Steve on winter being better on the temp. In summer, my tank runs risk of going over 85. Not sure I have enough power to run a chiller.