• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting 12 gallon nano cube

Just purchased a 12 gallon nano cube DX with the upgraded lights. Have LR and a established aquarium to start from, but what changes would you make before putting water in. Purchased this at Aquarium Discont Pet Rt 73 Marlton $139.00. I think I should remove all sponges, ceramic rings, bio-balls it comes with ???

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
fishrdp said:
Just purchased a 12 gallon nano cube DX with the upgraded lights. Have LR and a established aquarium to start from, but what changes would you make before putting water in. Purchased this at Aquarium Discont Pet Rt 73 Marlton $139.00. I think I should remove all sponges, ceramic rings, bio-balls it comes with ???

Wow, that's sounds like a really good price. I think I paid $180 for mine. I pulled all of the ceramic rings and bio-balls out of mine. I still have the sponges in but they are going to go soon. I've heard some people say that they fill the back center chamber with LR rubble.

Good luck with it!

replace the stock pump with an MaxiJet 900. Remove the crap that was in there, bio, sponge, etc.. This topic is going to open up a can of worms as far as mods you can do..

LRR in the back chamber with some filter floss and some chemipure or purigen, or 2nd chamber as a fuge with LRR and filter floss etc...

What we need to establish is what is going to be going into this tank, livestock etc.. and then we can give you a better direction on things. However, the only mod I would make before adding water is the mj900 and removal of those items above, unless of course you have heat problems or want to have some sps's or clams in the tank.

With the stock lights you should be fine for those things. However, watch how much you actually put in the tank with livestock, fish, shrimp, etc... Want to keep your bio load minimal. Do yourself a favor and get into a regimen for water changes too. Maybe the 10th, 20th, and 30th of every month. When you change your water keep in mind that purified water has nothing in it and as top off you should make some water and possibly see where it stands with alk and ph. Maybe add small amounts of ph buffer or I think there is a product out call RO READY made by kent... basically brings your water back to the proper ph and alk before adding it to the tank.. Just adding ro water to a tank for TO diffuses the tank parameters over the course of a week. That is my opinion, others may not feel the same way.

See how the tank goes, make changes along the way...

Hey Fishrdp,
I was in there today and picked up the same tank, 12gal DX. I was talking to Bill (the owner??) and he sold me the one on the floor for $100.00 but it doesn't have the moonlights in it. Did the one you bought have the moonlights (LED's)?

Jon

demon16v said:
Hey Fishrdp,
I was in there today and picked up the same tank, 12gal DX. I was talking to Bill (the owner??) and he sold me the one on the floor for $100.00 but it doesn't have the moonlights in it. Did the one you bought have the moonlights (LED's)?

Jon
The sign said it did , but no it does not. I think that is the newest model that has the moonlights. $100 very nice ;D

Got the rock in ,changed out stock pump to a maxijet 900 plenty off flow. Now just need alot of different zoo frags to fill this little thing. Anyone going next week to the meeting with any zoo frags, I'll be bringing the wallet ;D

You are talking to the nanocube mod master!

1. Use a MJ900 in 3rd chamber for water return (cooler and more powerful than stock pump)
2. Locline "Y" and 2 nozzles on output
3. Remove plastic backing on 2nd chamber to form an externally-lit refugium
4. Buy a SuperNimble nano cleaning magnet (www.nimblenano.com)

You shouldnt have to upgrade your fans if the room you keep the tank in is reasonably cool in the summer. If you do, I have fans that I like that I can recommend.

I found a Visitherm Stealth 50w heater works perfectly in chamber 1.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help. I would be glad to show you how to do stuff.

J