• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stock my 72g Bowfront FOWLR

Looking for fish suggestions for a 72g bowfront FOWLR.

Cant decide whether I want 1 large fish or several small fish.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure anyone could answer that for you. I think once you decide on large or small fish you can get a lot of suggestions on individual fishes that fit the profile.

I think personally I'd prefer a bunch of smaller fishes then only one large fish but it's an individual preference.

As far as large fish go are you scared to have something like a trigger or lion? The Fu Manchu Lion is smaller then the V. Lion and quite suitable for a 72g. You could probably do one of each of those depending on how often you plan on doing water changes. What about puffers? I wouldn't mix a puffer with a trigger in a 72g.

There are a lot of choices when it comes to small fish. You could do groups of chromas, damsels (yellow tails are less aggressive and pretty striking), cadinalfish, pair of clowns. You could checkout firefish (love the purple ones), neon gobies, hawkfish, coral angel, flame angel. If you don't mind a little extra feeding work you could do mandarins (you'll need copepods), anthias.

Have you given thought to feeding? Do you mind frozen foods or do you only want to go with flake?

If you have any criteria at all let us know and people can chime in with ideas.

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Stock it with COOL fish. I love my banana eel.

I also saw one of the coolest rabbitfish the other day in Bluestravlr's tank. White with blue and orange spots. Wish I could remember what it was called!

A Bellus angel, preferably a mated pair of them or wantanabis.

Color coordinating them would be cool. All fish that have yellow in them or all have blue.

Ive had rabbitfish in the past, definately a cool fish.

I was leaning more towards a single trigger or puffer.
A lionfish keeps peaking my interest as well though.

Would love an eel, but the fiancee isnt crazy about that idea!

Personally I think you could get away with 2 decent size fish in a 72 as long as the overall size of the tank is OK for the fish.

The Picasso (huma huma) is my favorite trigger. Have you ever looked at the dwarf lions? I just picked one up tonight and it's still in the bag getting ready for QT.

How about 2 different triggers? Maybe a clown trigger and a picasso? Do you like any of the larger angels?

Are you looking for color variation or personality for the tank mate? I wouldn't push the eel if your fiancee doesn't like them since she will be taking care of the tank when you're not around. Your first mate is important in the decision process!

cayars said:
Personally I think you could get away with 2 decent size fish in a 72 as long as the overall size of the tank is OK for the fish.

The Picasso (huma huma) is my favorite trigger. Have you ever looked at the dwarf lions? I just picked one up tonight and it's still in the bag getting ready for QT.

How about 2 different triggers? Maybe a clown trigger and a picasso? Do you like any of the larger angels?

Are you looking for color variation or personality for the tank mate? I wouldn't push the eel if your fiancee doesn't like them since she will be taking care of the tank when you're not around. Your first mate is important in the decision process!

I love the clown triggers but they get big. And everything I have read on them says they can be pretty mean when they get older.

The Humu is my favorite fish as well. I am really leaning towards that.

The fiancee (first mate!) wants a Dog Faced Puffer.

I am fighting the urge to put both a DFP and Humu in the same tank

I may forgo the eel, although a snowflake would be OK with her because "its doesnt look like an eel"

My understanding is that puffers and triggers shouldn't be in the same tank unless it's very large. I have no experience with this first hand but have read it a couple of times. Matter of fact one of the latest issues of an aquarium mag had mention of this. I'll track it down for you if you want to read it.

I had wanted to have a trigger, puffer and lion in the same tank but after reading that I'm going to do lion and trigger with maybe another larger non-reef safe fish - something I can't have in the reef tank for diversity.

Huma, Humas are very cool, it's a shame they have those teeth. I'd love to try and hand feed one but I'm chicken (or smart, not sure).

Carlo

If you want an eel, get a male Dragon eel. Now that is a cool eel. I used to have one years ago. They ar expensive though.
Ken

A now for something completely different! ;D

A butterfly tank. Auriga's, Pearlscale, etc. I've got a few going into my 46g bowfront.

OK, well a decision has been made.

Bursa Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus verrucosus)

picasso_trigger.jpg

Rverrucosus.jpg