• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stopped in Trop today

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
and picked up the MOST STUNNING Oxypora I've ever seen! WHOAH! It is such a bright red color. I haven't started taking pictures of it yet... it still needs to settle in a bit.

I also got a very nice donation. It is an Cyphestrea colony that was suffering some bleaching due to too much light. The bottom rim of it still looks great though and I'm sure it will recover in time (and not so much light). We'll frag that up and raffle the pieces off at the August meeting. The one condition for the winners is that it can not tolerate metal halide lighting!

Thanks, TROP!

Phyl said:
and picked up the MOST STUNNING Oxypora I've ever seen! WHOAH! It is such a bright red color. I haven't started taking pictures of it yet... it still needs to settle in a bit.

I have a feeling that's the colony I'd been eyeing for some time.... it was about the size of a softball or small grapefruit in diameter and in the right coral tank, closer towards the stock tanks and on the bottom row, right? It wa gorgeous if it's the one I'm thinking of, but it was sadly out of my price range (I'm really cheap... :p )

Very nice score, but, one question.... when do we get to see pics of it in your tank?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Probably have pics up tomorrow. It's still a bit shell shocked from the commute. With the NJRC member discount it crept up on my price range enough to make me dive for it! About the diameter of a large grapefruit. Very nice BRIGHT addition to the tank!

Phyl said:
The one condition for the winners is that it can not tolerate metal halide lighting!
Thanks, TROP!

Hmmmm, now who do we know that has never even owned a metal halide light, let alone use it on a tank??? 8)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here it is under actinics:
_dsc4775.jpg

And here it is under the Night-Sea!
_dsc4779.jpg

Phyl said:
Hmmmm.... Who do we know that is going to BE THERE?!

..... well, when and where?!? With corals like that, even I'M tempted to show up for the first time!!!

(although I've run halides in client's tanks and at the shop, none of the corals I love require halides! It pays to love hardy, cheap corals!!!)

By the by- doesn't Trop just rock your socks sometimes?

The last time I went, I ended up walking away with a small wall hammer from their "nano" and "frag" section for $20!!! But, by small, the skeleton's easily 2.5-3" long!!! It's so awesome, and it was such a good buy that I had to long-distancely call my old manager since I knew he was the only person who could ever understand my shock and amazement, especially to find a wall hammer in such nice shape in an LFS (they often arrived in such cruddy condition to us that we just stopped carrying them altogether until, of course, we'd forget, order some more, and have them all arrive completely sub par and disappointing).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well THAT's not the piece being fragged for the raffles! LOL! The piece that we'll be fragging for the meeting is a cyphestrea.

Phyl said:
Well THAT's not the piece being fragged for the raffles! LOL! The piece that we'll be fragging for the meeting is a cyphestrea.

That's what I was talking about (the cyphastrea)!

Please, if I had that oxypora, I'd NEVER take the risk of even thinking about fragging in its general direction. Too pretty and unique of a coral to even think about it! Blasphemy to speak of such things! No, such pretty corals need to be taken extra special care of.... so they turn into ginormous, pretty corals. ;D

Phyl said:
Hmmmm.... Who do we know that is going to BE THERE?!

We never finished that conversation though! It seems furniture may preempt vacation, and in that case, I will be there! ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They know who I am... and I figured we'd look way to geeky in coordinating attire!! :)

We did talk briefly about the swap and putting our ad in there!

blange3 said:
Phyl said:
The one condition for the winners is that it can not tolerate metal halide lighting!
Thanks, TROP!

Hmmmm, now who do we know that has never even owned a metal halide light, let alone use it on a tank??? 8)

Is a 150w MH considered a MH ??? ;D ;) The corals looks awesome!!!