• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Suggestions for copod eating fish

Guys I have been through a couple of different fish to keep my copod population under control, a scooter blenny (found it dead one day), & a Mandarin (found it on the floor next to the tank after going cray looking for it for a full day).

At first I thought it was my lawnmower blenny, but I was told that they aren't aggressive. Besides that I have a yellow tang, and 7 green chromis damsels. Oh yeah, I lost a coral beauty too. He was fine when he left the store (found him dead after two days with stressed skin on his lips).

What else is out there? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik

The manderin jumping is highly unusual. I've never heard of that before. I didn't even think they could move fast enough to jump like that!

I would try a green manderin (again).

6 line!!! Both of my tanks were getting over run with copodes (as in they were all over my zoas keeping them closed etc) added a 6 line to each tank and problem solved, you can't even find a pod unless you're searching.

Six line it is! Thanks Guys.

Yeah, I had a Blue Mandarin, and didn't he could jump out either... He ended up on that floor somehow. Poor thing.

Erik

Six line is a very good choice as other have mentioned. If you like the wrasses have you checked out the 4 and 8 lines also? I still can't believe your Mandarin jumped out of the tank. I wonder if he got pushed? :)

Carlo

Yeah, he was a muscular little devil too. He had to clear at least two inches to get over the side wall of the tank.
Must have had a good diet to do a high jump move like that. They just hover around with that graceful swimming style of theirs. Yeah it was very hurtful to see that (another 25.00 down the drain).

Erik

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A 6 line is as likely to jump (more so?) than a mandarin, as are almost every other wrasse in the book. Not sure that a wrasse is as good an option as the mandarin. The 6 line is also far more likely to become a menace to society (especially so in a small tank). They can become quite the bully.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I still get confused as to why anyone would want to get rid of copepods. They are a natural food source and if they are thriving your tank is doing well!

Thanks Phyl. I have a 90 Gal with a little over a hundred pounds of Tonga Nuku from Dr. Mac.

I still think that it may be the scooter blenny. I caught him once (took me an hour and a half) and threw him on my refugium for a week. Then someone convinced me that he would not have done that.

It's all coming back to me now.... I also had a percula clown jump out on me in Jan. It all started after I added the lawnmower blenny.
You can see a pattern in my above emails.

Thanks,

Erik

I don't mind them Brian, I just want to control them. It gets crazy when the lights are out! Thanks.

PS: I'm the guy who called you on your cell a month ago. Sorry about that (still missed that meeting). See the pics of my fish in mugshots.

Erik

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;D

Good idea. I never would have thought about that. Thanks guys!

Where do you buy eggcrate? Will it affect my lighting?

I only have 2-150 HQIs and 2-130 Dual actinics (Current outer orbit fixture).

Lowes/Home Depot should have it (although I've heard they often don't know what it's called so you'll want to look for yourself, near the ceiling lighting).

Not sure how it affects light, I actually need to get some myself (I have a thin piece of acrylic from a poster frame over my tank right now but heat is starting to become an issue so I think I need something open myself). I'm sure others here who use it can let you know.