• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump cleanings

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You all think it is time to break apart sump(from 2014).fuge has sand rock and macro algae,and reef rocks. Empty and clean existing sand or new sand? Will this create a mini cycle? Asking for a friend..Plus everything is running flawless..

Last edited:

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I clean mine once a year but I do not have a refugium. I do agree leave alone or maybe just vacum sand and do some pruning

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chris, why not just clean out detritus and such, and keep it running?
That's what I would like to do while doing a water change. It's really dirty.so I clean dry and add new sand.just rinse rocks in old tank water. will this create a mini cycle?would I benefit doing this or screw it up!

Salted

NJRC Member
I did a good cleaning on my sump last week with my water change. I scraped and scrubbed and vacuumed it out with an electric gravel vac. Did a through skimmer cleaning too. The sump has been running almost a year now, no need to let all the loose detritus decay in there. It all looks so nice now.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
That's what I would like to do while doing a water change. It's really dirty.so I clean dry and add new sand.just rinse rocks in old tank water. will this create a mini cycle?would I benefit doing this or screw it up!

There is a long thread about major overhauls on small system by removing sand and cleaning rock to restart small failing tanks on r2r. Most of them have no issues, and great success. If you're putting the rock back in, and not removing the display rock I don't think you'll have any cycle. I've stood up temp frag tanks by moving cycled media and water from the main system into them without out a cycle. I mean they still go through the ugly phase, but corals and clean up crew went in after few hours with no loss.

Personally, unless there is a specific issue, I'd just remove detritus and sand from the sump and keep going.

D

Deleted member 27248

Hi Maximus - I've been trying to figure out how to pm you but I can't figure it out. Do you have an email I can use to reach out to you?
You can just shoot me a text I you would like…201-726-5824

Salted

NJRC Member
If he is such a genius, lets seem him roll a hunk of taylor ham. IT'S CALLED PORK ROLL FOR A REASON!
You can't realy roll a hunk of anything.
Hi Maximus - I've been trying to figure out how to pm you but I can't figure it out. Do you have an email I can use to reach out to you?
Hover your cursor over the persons' screen name. A window will open at the bottom you will see "start conversation". Click on that.