• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sump plumbing

i just set up my first sump, of the rubbermaid variety. only problem i seem to be having is when i turn off the return pump, water siphons from the main tank into the sump, adside from having the return line not being under the water level, is there anything that i can do?

also, has anyone had succsess with putting a refugium in a rubbermaid, its an 18g rubbermaid , and how is it done

thank you

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can drill a small hole in the return line just below the water level. This will break the back siphon when the pump turns off. You just need to remember to poke it out with a toothpick every month or so.

We had a lot of luck with a 10g rubbermaid fuge.

Drilling the hole is the best way. I have seen people use backflow valves but that can cause trouble. Worst thing I have seen is a snail getting caught in one and blocking a LOT of water flow.

haha yeah i just drilled the hole, works great, but another question witch is probaly stupid will the heater cause any trouble lying down on the plastic in the rubbermaid? wont burn it or anything right.

also are bio balls a bad idea to put in there

I have never seen one do that, the water keeps it cool enough. If it worries you, get a small piece of glass and put it on the bottom of the tub and set the heater on the glass.

I've never seen a heater get hot enough that I couldn't pick it up (as long as it's in water) so it's not going to burn anything unless you run dry and I doubt your sump is going to go dry. :)

As far as the holes in the return, I usually do 2 small holes on opposite sides just in case.

Another smart thing to do is to let your sump run a little low (let it evaporate out some) then kill power and note the water level. You can then add water into the sump to get you to the highest water level you feel comfortable with with pumps off. Then when you power up again NOTE the water line when the system is running. Use that LINE for your FILL. If you do this there is almost NO chance of ever overflowing the sump.

Carlo