• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump Size?

Thinking of upgrading to a 180 AGA with the dual overflows and the standard stand. What is the largest glass aquarium that will fit within the standard tank stand. I currently have a 40 long under a 125 and was thinking of upgrading that as well. I think it is over kill, but I was also thinking of doing a custom stand to fit the 125 long I currently have as a sump. Any info would be apprecitated, as I am still in the thinking stage.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you are going to be building the stand and already have the 125...I think this answers itself! :)

Yea man, use the 125 as your sump/refugium. When you build your stand do what the manufactures never do and put a door on the side of the stand so you can always slide the sump out in case you ever need to put another piece of equipment in the sump (i.e. skimmer, reactors). Yep might be a pain to drain the sump but atleast you can always access it or change it in the future without having to drain the main tank and take the tank off the stand.

Carlo

Read a post on Reef Sanctuary and said rule of thumb is about 30% of tank volume. I think the largest tank I can fit in a standard stand is a 55 so that would be perfect. I am worried about the extra volume in the 125 not having enough flow from only two overflows. Door in the side is a great idea since if I ever had to get my 40 out from under the 125 I would be #%!&@ed. You can fill in the blank but there are plenty of colorful adjectives to describe the situation. 125 sump would be a great dream, but I don't know if Im ready to tackle that one yet. More planning, more time, more money. Thank forums for helping with the planning.