• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sump Vs Refugium??

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I was considering purchasing a sump for my 55gal but the inside stand measurements is about 10" front to back. I haven't found anything this narrow searching on-line. Would a refugium be an alternative? I was looikng at the "PRO 18 Hang On Refugium". I want to can my canister on the marine tank. I think phosphate is building up as I am starting to get another Cyano breakout. last time it wiped out my ebtire tank it was so bad. I plan to treat with "Red Slime Remover" but am looking inbto future to prevent this.

Mark

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
My sump is from glasscages.com
Mine is 60 long 12 wide and 16 high,price picked up in Whiteplains NY was
around $165.00 with the refugium conversion.
Hope this help

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Appreciate the reply but the width of the stand is to narrow. Your sump is 12" wide and my stand is 10" wide.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Okay. Just placed some phosphate absorbing pads in my canister and replaced a bulb. Originaly had a Coral life 420 50/50 actinic with a normal flourescent. The ACT is 2 months old and the other over 6 months. Now both bilbs are the coral life actinic. I noticed that the lighting looks purplish. Is this normal? Was much brighter the other way.