• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

switching tanks

Im getting ready to swich out one of my tanks with a new one should i worry about moving the sand bed to othe tank is there anything to worry about...I want to drain the one half way and pull rocks o0ut and rinse them in fresh mixed salt water to get rid of debris then suck sand into buckets take fish out and empty rest of tank then move othe tank in place and refill everything in....

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think it depends largely on how long the sand's been in the tank and how deep it is. We had a 2" sand bed in our 120 that was moved around a lot through current, inverts and animals. We moved the entire bed, less the detritus into our 180 when we switched tanks with no ill effects (we also have nearly 500g of water total volume).

Herbie on the other hand attributes his massive die off to disturbing the sand bed. So for me it wasn't a problem at all and for Herbie the results were disasterous.

I too have switched many tanks, I use Bio spira in my tanks after moving sand and rocks. That stuff works great. Knock wood haven't had any loss due to a move.

I agree it depends on the age/depth. The older and deeper it is the more I'd be concerned. If it's fairly shallow and looks mostly "clean" there likely isn't to much stuff trapped inside you need to worry about. If anything rinse it with fresh saltwater also as a precaution. If it is really deep or discolored then I personally wouldn't risk it, I'd use new sand and seed it with a few cupfuls from the top portion of your current sandbed.

I think Candi covered everything extremely well.

godiver, how deep is your current sand bed and how old is it?

Carlo