• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 bulb options

Hey all. I currently have 2x54w T5 (1 x 10000K, 1 x actinic) on my 72 bowfront FOWLR.

Im looking for a bit more intensity...something that will make the fish *pop* a bit more...and the ugly brown palys not look so ugly (is that possible?) Not looking for coral growth...just bulbs that make the tank look brighter and the colors of the fish more intense.

I was contemplating 2 new T5 bulbs. Anyone have a suggestion?

Giesemann T5 bulbs are the best on the market IMO, actinic + (blue) and aqua blue + (12000K) will give the tank a nice look

Absinthe said:
Hey all. I currently have 2x54w T5 (1 x 10000K, 1 x actinic) on my 72 bowfront FOWLR.

Im looking for a bit more intensity...something that will make the fish *pop* a bit more...and the ugly brown palys not look so ugly (is that possible?) Not looking for coral growth...just bulbs that make the tank look brighter and the colors of the fish more intense.

I was contemplating 2 new T5 bulbs. Anyone have a suggestion?

I heard from VHO lovers that they love the colors on them but I still love my T5.

jazzsam said:
I heard from VHO lovers that they love the colors on them but I still love my T5.

Sam, stop poking the old VHO bear! My frag tank is getting T5's so we can do some comparisons showing the same coral in 2 different tanks. A nice VHO only show tank and some washed out overdriven T5 tank!

Absinthe, what type of actinic bulb do you have?

I like the look of the Aquablues.

I dont know the type of actinic...the regular plain actinic that came with this cheap ass setup!

Raider: I would love to come by and check out the tank. I wish I could get more time away from work. Worked ust over 90 hours last week! :p

Absinthe said:
I dont know the type of actinic...the regular plain actinic that came with this cheap ass setup!

I haven't checked the post in RC since the UV super actinics came out. I heard they didn't quite match the VHO super actinics, which for my taste give the best "pop".

Try pm'ing dflint on this board about UV actinics, I believe he got some in a PA buy.

blange3 said:
Sam, stop poking the old VHO bear! My frag tank is getting T5's so we can do some comparisons showing the same coral in 2 different tanks. A nice VHO only show tank and some washed out overdriven T5 tank!

I was actually trying to say something nice about VHO. I guess it came out bad........ :(

jazzsam said:
blange3 said:

I was actually trying to say something nice about VHO. I guess it came out bad........ :(

Nope, you weren't bad, I was just having fun! ;D

blange3 said:
jazzsam said:
blange3 said:

Nope, you weren't bad, I was just having fun! ;D

come on Bill, this is Reefing stuff... you can't have FUN! Just serious stuff!!!