• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tale of a Haddoni Carpet.

Last spring, I started a search for an anemone. (RBTA hosting Perc Clowns to be exact). Well in my search I happened on a Craigslist posting of a Carpet in desperate need of a home. Well it was desperate, for the owners left it in their tank that they were breaking down for two weeks with NO lighting and NO food. They had the filters running, but it was in total darkness.

The poor thing was about ~3 to 4", bleached white and the only way that I could tell it was a green Haddoni was that the people told me he was green "before". Well I took him home not expecting him to live. In two days he found a way to commit suicide (filter intake). Well, the attempt was a failure. During the next week or so, it hid in the rocks, only to stick a little bit of its crown to grab some light. Little feedings here and there for the next month with frozen krill, brine, mysis mix. Evenually got a bag of silversides for him.

He eventually made his way to center stage of my display, to my wifes delight, and has stayed there ever since. He is now expanding to about 10" across under the MH. He has gained color, but not the emerald green that I'd hoped, but would probably come out more in lighting more suited for him. So with out further ado... Let me introduce you to Ireland, the green Haddoni Carpet.

1580_20_11_08_2_17_45_1.jpg

Now that he is completly healthy & happy, I will be posting him soon on the F/S thread so he can find his new home. I would love to keep him, but he would be incompatable with the type of animals that I wish to keep when I upgrade my tank. My wife and I talked hard about this, seriously, because we both love him, but we feel that we done the best for him. So stay tuned...

Hey can you take a closer pic I'm on my blackberry now but the tentacles don't look like short and stubby like a haddoni more like mertensii

Are there any dots on the base?

Nice save there. Doesn't look very green though. How long has it been in recovery? Always wanted one of these but their aggression worries me.

Ahhhh...just read the bottom there that you wanted to sell him. I love these things too but I don't think I can house one either.

ReeferNets said:
Hey can you take a closer pic I'm on my blackberry now but the tentacles don't look like short and stubby like a haddoni more like mertensii
That picture was taken in mid day when Ireland is most open. He stretches out and actually lets the flow wave his tentacles. During that time. If I turn off the powerheads, you can actually see him move his tentacles individually. Its really neat! Here is another shot just taken with the MHs on for only an hour.

1580_21_11_08_11_37_43.JPG

ReeferNets said:
Are there any dots on the base?
I may have misidentified him. He does not have any dots on his base. Under his crown its pinkish/purple. Here is what he allowed me to snap.

1580_21_11_08_11_39_47.jpg

calaxa said:
Nice save there. Doesn't look very green though. How long has it been in recovery? Always wanted one of these but their aggression worries me.
He hasn't turned "emerald" green, but that may be because of the lights that I have (two 250watt 15k oddysea w/ 4 PC actinics). Hopefully when it is finally time to change out the bulbs, I'll get a better color from everything in my tank. The tank is alittle white washed for it is only a 75 and the lights are really meant for a 120 (which I have waiting to be switched over.

Other then the lack of "brilliant" color, I feel that he has made almost a complete recovery. Now for aggression, he doesn't "seek" prey, more like a passive spider web. He is rather sticky so if something gets caught, there is not much it can do.

Since I want a tank with the small creatures of the reef that frequent the sandbed (mandarins, gobies, blennies), they are incompatable with Ireland. Now if I had a second tank with larger and/or mid/high water column dwellers, I would definitely keep him.

Its a Haddoni, the tentacles looked a little longer then usually but its very nice haddoni. Sometimes in the while they actually keep that white green ish mix.

Lookin good