• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank starting

Well, got a 15 gallon tank yesterday 24x12x12. Just finished drilling the back for the drain. Went with a 3/4" due to the small size of the tank. I am figuring that I can get between 300-500 gal/hr out of this size fitting. I have the hardware for a 1" but it looked silly, it was so big! Went and bought all the wood to build the stand which I will be starting tomorrow. Going to trim it out in Mission style and instead of a hinged door, I am going to use cabinet magnets with hidden handholds routed into the back of some of the trim along the edge of the front panel. I will make sure to take pictures of the process, I had this on my old big tank and it looked nice and made for easy access.

Not sure about how I am going to set up my sump or return yet. Still trying to decide on lighting. This tank will eventually become a frag tank once I get up my 120 several months from now when the addition is finished. At first I was going to go with a single 14k MH, but then I thought if this is going to be a frag tank, maybe just go with a 10k. Wondering if anyone has expierience with small tanks being used as SPS frag tanks?

Next question is, will I be able to maintain SPS frags using only T-5 lighting? Was considering a Nova Extreme 96 watt rig. It comes with 2 10k and 2 antinics. If I use it, will replace one of the antinics with another 10k. Being that the height of the tank is only 12", I am thinking that I can get away with it.

I am by no means a lighting expert but I have T5 on a 55 and have a lot in there that is doing great. I think with the 12" height you will be able to do it just fine.

I'd have to second that.

I have 4x54 watt HO T5 on my 55, and I have a clam, anemone, torch (slowly coming around after a rough start) zoas, shrooms, and a new acropora that is doing great. And my T5s don't have individual reflectors like the Tek lights do. Mine is a nova extreme fixture.

The only thing I wish with mine is that I had the individual reflectors of the Tek light fixture, and I would rather have 6 bulbs for a little more light. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Just my 2 cents. ;D

Congrats on the new tank. I was intending to setup a 15 but wound up with a 29 instead lol. The T5's should do great for your tank. I have a 130 w PC fixtre over my 5 galon and it's been doing very well for me.

For my new tank though, I am choosing 20k MH. My take on the MH vs T5 thing is 20k MH=slower growth rate, extreme coloration. I am looking for a relatively slow growth rate but extreme colors and T5's = fast growth rate, solid coloration. At least this is how I am understanding things from all the posts and discussion I have had. I am only going to be able to purchase 1 fixture and cost is a paramount consideation. The T5's should give solid color and high growth rates (and should be incredible for a 15 gallon). I can always add T5 actinic supplements later on if I feel the need and have the cash flow for it, thus boosting growth rates. I realize I am not explaining everything fully so it might be somewhat disjointed. I am not trying to push 1 or the other, just tyring to put in both sides as I see it and am hoping someone have something to learn further from.

Good luck with the new tank and post a ton of pictures!! :D :F Looking forward to pics of the new setup!

Tom

The 20k MH is a very blue light, you will not need Antinics with it. 10k is mostly white and depending on the brand, has some yellow. You also have a 14k which is a nice bulb that is growing a lot in popularity. It has similiar growth as a 10k <but not as much> and is more on the blue side <but not as much as a 20k>. I kind of conisider them to be like the PC 50/50s of the MH world.

Back on topic, I am about 1/3 of the way through on the stand build. Snow storm prevented me from cutting the plywood skin outside. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get to it.

i would go with the MH lighting, so you can end up doing sps. You can get away with some sps under t-5's but MH is the way to go for the whole thing.. Also you will need to have a good amount of flow in the tank, as well as a clear water, i would recommend a skimmer and a refugium or sump...Just my thoughts...Its not the watt's per gallon but its about the intensity of the bulb...and MH is as close as you can get to the sun...

I doubt I am going to put a skimmer on a 15 gallon. Thinking frequent water changed should be sufficient. If I do use a skimmer, it will be a HOB skimmer modified to hang on the sump. as far as flow, It looks like I will be using a 250 gal/hr pump. Once the return reaches the tank, it will T off to either side of the tank where I will have one side breaking the surface and the other stirring the tank. Should have good turbulance. Close to the pump, I will have a loop back to the sump so I can adjust the amount of waterflow to the tank. My sump will be 3 chambered. Left side is the downflow chamber, center is going to be a refuge with a sand base, some LR and greenery, right side will be the return pump chamber. If I find I need the skimmer, I will most likely add it to the center or right side of the sump. I am not sure how many gallons the sump/ref will end up, I am going to make it out of acrylic. I have an idea for a different style of bubble trap I want to try out.

As far as lighting, the tank is only 12" high. After talking to some people and doing more research, a T-5 will light up the tank just fine for sps.

The framing for the stand. I know, over did it using 2x4s for a 15g. tank but the 2x3s at Lowe's had more twists in it then an iron railing!!

740_19_03_07_6_36_18_4.JPG

Here is a couple of pics of the hole and bulkhead plumbing on the back of the tank.

740_19_03_07_6_36_18_1.JPG

740_19_03_07_6_36_18_3.JPG

I drilled the hole using a Dremel and a diamond tip for glass. Took me about an hour and a half.

You can not really tell in the pictures but the stand is 6" wider the the tank. When it is done I will end up with a 6" shelf on one side of the tank to keep misc. items I use regularly..

I know what you are talking about with the wood. Sometimes you go through an entire PILE of wood looking for something straight and still can't find ANYTHING.