• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

tank temp

so I have my QT setup with a 250 watt heater, I thought it would be enough to keep temp at 78 degree.

I just got home with 3 new fish that were supposed to go in the QT. Well the temp of the QT is 70 degrees only!!

I placed the 3 fish in my sump to retain their water temperature. I also added a 300 watt, 250 watt, and 200 watt heater to my QT.

How long can the fish stay in the bags for before it is unsafe? I picked them up this morning approximately 9:30 AM in Freehold, NJ from a person breaking down their tank and got them floating in my sump since around 11:30.

Thanks!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What size is the QT, and what is the ambient temperature. For a tank in a "room temperate" room, a 250 watt should easily handle a 90 gallon tank. Do you have the heater in a controller? And if so, is it in a plug that can handle the wattage.

I had this problem with my 300 watt heaters. The little light would come on, but very little heat out of them. I had to pick up an "extension" outlet to handle the wattage.

What size is the QT, and what is the ambient temperature. For a tank in a "room temperate" room, a 250 watt should easily handle a 90 gallon tank. Do you have the heater in a controller? And if so, is it in a plug that can handle the wattage.

I had this problem with my 300 watt heaters. The little light would come on, but very little heat out of them. I had to pick up an "extension" outlet to handle the wattage.

The QT is a 55g, ambient temperature is probably 60 degrees or so.

Heater is not on a controller, plugged into a regular surge protector.