• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

TDS questions

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I understand that TDS stands for total disolved solids which would be impurities in the water. With a reading of 0ppm is there anything at all in the water? Can there be any phoshates or anything else still in the water at 0ppm? I do not know how accurate my TDS meter is, but I do get 122ppm at faucet and only 1ppm after RODI. I'm sure 1ppm has some phosphate or other undesirable in it, but is it really a problem. At 1ppm tds I would assume that phosphates might not show up on ordinary test kits, Am I wrong?

Taz

Most test kits will show a zero for PO4 but actually that is not true. If you check it with a good quality meter you will see something there. ALl tanks have phosphates the goal it to keep it as low as possible.

TDS are inorganic water impurities consisting of minerals and salts. At 0ppm there may be traces left over that the meter does not pick up, but at such low levels there is no issue.