• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

tempature spiking!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi i need help, for some reason my 30 gallon tank is starting to get overly hot. it hit 84 degrees today and the heater hasnt been running and im starting to loos oxygen in the water.right now i have my canister filter sitting in ice water to bring some of the tempature down and i picked my light up off the top of the tank. i currently have a powerhead putting air into the tank now but i still need help with the tempature.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you can get a fan to blow across the surface you should be able to bring the temp down 2 or more degrees. Those cheap clip on fans from Walmart are pretty easy to work with and do a good job.

Besides doing everything mentioned you can run your lights less and at a cooler time of day or night if possible . If it is a sudden jump in temps and not just because of the weather I would also check to make sure the heaters not defective and for a pump that might be cloged . If you can direct some water flow toward the surface and add a fan like mentioned you should be able to bring it don to a safe range . That powerhead you have putting air(?) into the tank (?)is putting room temp air in,is that cooler than 84 degrees ?

the air tempature in the room is at least lower then 75 degrees, and the temp in the tank is slowly decreasing bur i will look into the fan or maybe a small wavemaker close to the surface

I use a window AC, keep the room so cool I wear a winter shirt. Keep the lights off during hight temp days. You can put tank water in the freezer and add it back in to cool a spike, buts thats not a long term solution.

true thanks guys, if it goes back up in a couple days im just gonna get a chiller since im gonna go bigger eventualy

Powerheads and pumps running also produce heat in the tank. I do not think, IMO, pushing bubbles from room air temperature would negate the heat that is given off by the powerhead.
I concur with the others fans blowing across the water is a great way to lower the temp by evaperative cooling. Be aware you will need more top off water because it cools your tank via evaporation.
I run ac 24 7 in my tank room and use window fans in my sumps, not clip on fans, to cool the water. It maybe overkill but it seems to do the job. Window fans like the ones with 2 fans and multiple speeds and temp settings. Boy do I top off a lot of water.
Like you, my room temp is around 75 or maybe a bit less. My tanks do not get over 81 on the worst days. Usually they stay under 80.
I am in the process of installing external pumps and SCWD wave makers in my DT instead of using powerheads. I am hoping this will reduce temps even more.
I own two chillers and so far have not been forced into hooking them up. Chillers put the heat that you remove from the tank into the room they are in. If you can't exhaust the discharged air outside, or better yet install it in a remote location, I personally would try to avoid installing one.

I keep a couple of water bottles in the freezer along with ice packs and if the temp gets to high i put them in to bring the temp down so far so good havent gone above 84