• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Temperature Control

arvin

NJRC Member
Temperature Control

I have my sump and fuge set up is in the basement. This is my first summer after installing basement sump and am wondering what is the best way to keep the temperature stable.

Lately I have been traveling a lot, staying away from home for three to four days in a row. Leaving the Airconditioner is not an option. I am planning to use my AC Jr to kick off fans. Where is the best place to setup the fans?

Currently the water temperature in the basement shows 79 and in the display tank it is 80.5. Since the basement is always tend to be cooler than the first floor, does it make sense to set the fans in the first floor in front of the display tank? Or does it really matter where the fans are setup since the water keeps circulating back and forth? I have my AC Jr in the basement so it is easier for me to setup the fans in the basement. I don't mind moving the AC Jr to the first floor if that helps.

Also, what kind of fans should I use? Can I use the Stand fans or the smaller ones are better?

I appreciate your help.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Arvind, Welcome back! I was just saying that I haven't seen you around in a while.

We have 2 fans in the basement. One over the sump and the other over the stock tank. You can use those "clip-on" type desk fans, they work pretty well. What I've found works really well (but a bit more expensive) are those fans that get used in-line in ductwork. You can get them at the Depot/Lowes. I have one small one (4") and one large one (8"). I use big zip ties to hold them in place and blowing onto the water surface. They seem to do a pretty good job at keeping the temps down. I used an AquaController to regulate when they go on and off.

HTH.

arvin

NJRC Member
JohnS_323 said:
Hey Arvind, Welcome back! I was just saying that I haven't seen you around in a while.

Thank you. Going bonkers for various reasons. Hopefully it will end soon.

We have 2 fans in the basement. One over the sump and the other over the stock tank.... I used an AquaController to regulate when they go on and off.

This is great. I can do this as well. But do you think if this will work just fine even if I leave for 2 weeks at the peak of summer heat?

Last summer I was away for one weekend which turned out to be the hottest day of the season and I paid dearly, so I want to be extra careful this time.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's hard to say for sure. I will say that it's been a no brainer for us. Our basement is generally cool, though so we have that working in our favor.

I'm not sure what kind of lights you're running or how they're set up but if you can tie them into the Jr, you could program it to turn the fans on at one temp, then turn the lights off at another.

Like I said, it's hard to say for sure but it works well for us.

arvin

NJRC Member
I have PC lights. The lights are not hooked to the AC Jr, I will go ahead do it right away.

Thanks John.

John, I don't know if you're getting cramped on code lines yet or not but you can remove the line of code to turn the lights back on at a certain temp. If you have the lights come on and off using a time value you only need one line to turn them off if the temp is over a certain point. Each time the evaluation runs it will be set to "on" based on the time and then get kicked off when evaluation the temp. If the temp has dropped (if they were out based on temp) then the timer function will turn them back on.

Carlo

JohnS_323 said:
.... What I've found works really well (but a bit more expensive) are those fans that get used in-line in ductwork. You can get them at the Depot/Lowes. I have one small one (4") and one large one (8"). I use big zip ties to hold them in place and blowing onto the water surface. They seem to do a pretty good job at keeping the temps down. I used an AquaController to regulate when they go on and off.

HTH.

What kind of fan is this? I'm interested in checking it out as my fishless tank temp fluctuates from 84-88deg. :(

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mantis32 said:
JohnS_323 said:
Here is the Larger Fan that we got from the Depot.

Wow...you have a picture of that thing hooked up above your tank?

It's not above my tank, it's above my sump in the basement. Here is a pic of the sump from a few months ago. You can kind of see the two fans. One over the lower rubbermaid tank, and the other over the upper rubbermaid tank.

14.jpg

Yeah, there's no way that monster would fit in my canopy!

Man I wish I had your sized basement instead of my "large closet" sized hole under one part of the house!

Maybe instead of having a tank moving party I should start a new one. Anyone up for a "basement digging party? All the beer and pizza you can drink/eat while you're still able to fill buckets. :)

Carlo

Good one Carlo. I was thinking the same thing. Although your closet surely beats having your sump outside on the side of your tank.

That is one crazy setup. I can't begin to call myself a reefkeeper compared to all these insane setups. I'm waiting for the picture of the reefkeeper who is scuba diving in their own reef. Anyone at that level yet?

I'm trying to figure out where to move a rack in my basement now so I've got room for another 125 down there I picked up from Billy that is going to be a grow out/prop tank. I'm trying to get the basement area finished off before I add additional display tanks.

I was there with the sump and fuge outside the tank not too long ago back in my apartment. It's a pain compared to the nice setups you can do with an equipment room. The only downside to the equipment room is that you have to much room for toys and gizmos that you wouldn't otherwise do when you are space constrained.

I used to dive in the shark tank at Adventure Aquarium to do cleaning but since it's not my tank I don't think that counts. :)

Carlo

PS it's not the size of your "junk" that matters. It's the passion you put into it. <-- could be said of all the good things in life... If you got rock, fish, corals and salt in the water you're a reefkeeper!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
cayars said:
The only downside to the equipment room is that you have to much room for toys and gizmos that you wouldn't otherwise do when you are space constrained.

Too true. I never wanted to go into the basement because I knew mess was going to happen as soon as I did!

cayars said:
If you got rock, fish, corals and salt in the water you're a reefkeeper!

Amen brother!