• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

TEMPERATURE SPIKE

mY TANK KEEPS JUMPING FROM 78 -85 DEG i DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO THE HEATER IS SET TO 76 DEG i HAVE A SINGLE 96 WATT PC ON TOP AND A SMALLER ON ON THE REFUGIUM. THEY COME ON AT ALTERNATING TIMES SO i DON'T KNOW IT THAT IS THE ISSUE. i KEEP THE GLASS TOP PROPPED OPEN.

ANY IDEAS.
tHANKS
dAVE

Fully open the glass top and see if the temp drops, if so that's the problem, if not start turning thing's off one at a time till it start to drop. Do you have a sump? What pump are you using for the return? My mag 3 generates heat in my small 10 gal sump so that could also be the problem.

do you think I should lower the heater temp to make up for the return pump in the sump and the room temp gets to about 75
But I don't want to run the ac until I absolutely have to

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lowering the heater temp will not bring down the tank temp. If the return pump is keeping the water warmer than the heater is set for, the thermostat in the heater shouldn't allow it to turn on.
Also try putting a clip on desk fan either on the sump or the tank itself. It will increase evaporation but will most likely drop your temp by 5 degrees or so.

Dave,
I have to use a fan on my sump to keep the temp down till I can find a pump that doesn't generate as much heat as the mag 3, you can get the fan at Walmart for $9 thats where I got mine.

Dave,
Just make sure you keep an eye on the sump, I have to add 1-1.5 gallons of top off a day when I run the fan. about .5-1 gallon without the fan on and being it's only a 10 galon sump it probably only holds 7 gal of water the return chamber can run dry in as little as 2 days.