• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Testing - Strips vs Liquid

So as I'm getting my new 120g tank cycled I have a question for you my wise reefing friends: Are tetra test strips as effective for saltwater as they are in freshwater?

I did extensive testing with my freshwater tank overtime between the big API Master Test Kit and the Tetra 6 in 1/ammonia test strips. It turned out the test strips were just as accurate and FAR easier to use. It made monitoring my tank much easier and made me quite happy. As I'm cycling my saltwater tank I wonder if the same is true here. I know that when I start monitoring other things (looking at you calc) I will need other test kits but for the basic nitrogen cycle is there any reason that test strips aren't sufficient?

So as I'm getting my new 120g tank cycled I have a question for you my wise reefing friends: Are tetra test strips as effective for saltwater as they are in freshwater?

I did extensive testing with my freshwater tank overtime between the big API Master Test Kit and the Tetra 6 in 1/ammonia test strips. It turned out the test strips were just as accurate and FAR easier to use. It made monitoring my tank much easier and made me quite happy. As I'm cycling my saltwater tank I wonder if the same is true here. I know that when I start monitoring other things (looking at you calc) I will need other test kits but for the basic nitrogen cycle is there any reason that test strips aren't sufficient?
Both api and the test strips are the worst for saltwater. However, while cycling, the api test kits will work well enough for you to cycle. After that, I recommend getting something like red Sea, salifert, hanna or nyos

I remember trying these when I tried my first saltwater tank and feeling like they were not very easy to read nor consistent. My thinking was similar to what you mention in that I've always used these for freshwater tanks and found them better than the freshwater kits for the ease and accuracy. However in a reef tank these are practically useless in my opinion. I use a mix of red sea and salifert kits.