• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The cost saving alternate parts thread

Salted

NJRC Member
The purpose of this thread is to help us help each other save money. The idea is to find the identical replacements for items marketed and sold to us in the aquarium hobby as "aquarium specific", with corresponding price premium. Like every other industry, the aquarium business is for profit. Shocking I know, but true. Sellers purchase generic products, slap their name on it and claim it's an aquarium specific product and jack the price way up. I was researching filter floss and found out it's really just polyester stuffing, and can be purchased at craft stores for a 1/4 of the price. The only thing we'd be concerned with is that it does not have a fire retardant added, otherwise it's the same product. I was just on amazon and was about to buy a Two Little Fishies ball valve. It was $12.67 for one valve. We all know when you're on amazon related items are shown and what do I see? A two pack for $13.45. A closer look and you can clearly see the manufacturers' logo on the cap and it's the same product. The only difference is one seller is selling a ball valve, TLF is selling an "aquarium" ball valve. Which do you think I just bought? So if you come across an item that fits the scenario I've described, please post it up and help us save money, because really, wouldn't you rather save money so you can spend it on fish and coral?

TLF ball valve; Amazon.com

Identical, but not marked up as an aquarium specific part item; Amazon.com

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Ok I will play

Fish food
1) algae sheets nori a lot cheaper at the shpermarket.
2) frozen food very easy to make your own at home for a fraction of the price.

Equipment
1) leds work the same no magic you don’t have to buy expensive leds you can use black box light to grow corals.
2) algae scrubber it’s easy to dyi your own for less than $20
3) ato container spending $100 to hold 5 gallon of water is insane.
4)controller when a managed power strip can do the same job.

Like you said, filter floss. I buy mine from Walmart. It usually goes from $5-$10 for this big roll and the last time I bought one was 2 years ago when I had 3 fw tanks. I just had to get a new bag like a week ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-125358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-125358_Gallery.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Ok I will play

Fish food
1) algae sheets nori a lot cheaper at the shpermarket.
2) frozen food very easy to make your own at home for a fraction of the price.

Equipment
1) leds work the same no magic you don’t have to buy expensive leds you can use black box light to grow corals.
2) algae scrubber it’s easy to dyi your own for less than $20
3) ato container spending $100 to hold 5 gallon of water is insane.
4)controller when a managed power strip can do the same job.
Not so much.
While most controllers are indeed way overpriced, a powers strip can't come close to the same capabilities.
While it's not necessary needed, it's definitely one of the things in this hobby worth spending the money on.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Not so much.
While most controllers are indeed way overpriced, a powers strip can't come close to the same capabilities.
While it's not necessary needed, it's definitely one of the things in this hobby worth spending the money on.

Actually the new controller from coralvue they opened the power strip and it ended up being the same exact components from a amazon Wi-Fi power strip. I have had a apex for years and I am also not using the apex to actually do anything. In my last
Tank my apex was a control freaks dream.
But now I have moved away from apex products and focus on just monitoring for the apex.

For some people a timer/monitor for the outlet is all they need so a $39 Wi-Fi power strip will be enough
Instead of a $279 eb32 power strip

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I always keep impellers when pumps break. I have managed to take some apart and build another to fit. Not as powerful as the original pump but in a pinch it works if I don't have a backup.