• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The flood update

Before the flood
_dsc5183.jpg

It's been a few days, I guess I should consider myself really fortunate as the only true loss so far is my Ponape Birds Nest, it's still in the tank but I think I'm going to pull it.
233_26_09_07_1_31_14_4.jpg

My Oregon Tort looks really sad, it was a beautiful Blue with bright Green polyps

233_26_09_07_1_31_14_2.jpg

In a rush to move this into my son's tank to avoid damage I laid it to close to an anemone.

233_26_09_07_1_37_17_0.jpg

Here's my Blue Stag tip, give it a month.

233_26_09_07_1_31_14_3.jpg

Ora Bonsai I'm seeing potential but once again this was incredible looking

233_26_09_07_1_39_14_0.jpg

My Cap
233_26_09_07_1_51_52.jpg

This is my tank now, some of my corals are still in Josh's tank and I'm hesitant to move them back in yet.

233_26_09_07_1_31_14_0.jpg

At least you did not loose everything and it looks like a lot will come back for you. I am glad things are starting to look up!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you see the skin come off of the ponape? If it is out of the water for a minute does it get slimey? It looks a really bright white, which may be bleaching. No polyps, I take it?

All things considered, I think it looks really great. Looks like most will come back to their glory in no time. Great job minimizing the damage (though I'm sure it doesn't feel that way right now).

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All doesn't seem to be lost! I've had tanks look worse than that on a good day!

Glad to see you didn't throw in the towel. I'm sure everything will bounce back in no time!

Phyl said:
Did you see the skin come off of the ponape? If it is out of the water for a minute does it get slimey? It looks a really bright white, which may be bleaching. No polyps, I take it?

All things considered, I think it looks really great. Looks like most will come back to their glory in no time. Great job minimizing the damage (though I'm sure it doesn't feel that way right now).

Ponape was yellowish w/pink tips, now it's bleached white, no polyps evident, no skin evident...

im glad everything was not totally lost....stick with it and i'm sure all will be back to normal in a month or so.
good luck,keep us posted and happy reefing..........al

sorry to hear about the flood francis.... give it some time for some of the SPS as they are showing signs of a comeback... goodluck

Weekly update ;D

Last week
233_26_09_07_1_31_14_2.jpg

This week
233_02_10_07_1_45_33_4.jpg

LW
233_26_09_07_1_37_17_0.jpg

TW
233_02_10_07_1_45_33_3.jpg

LW
233_26_09_07_1_31_14_3.jpg

TW
233_02_10_07_1_45_33_1.jpg

LW
233_26_09_07_1_51_52.jpg

TW
233_02_10_07_1_45_33_2.jpg

LW
233_26_09_07_1_39_14_0.jpg

And surprisingly ;D ;D ;D
TW
233_02_10_07_1_45_33_0.jpg

Is there anything I can do for the algae growing on the ends ???

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That tri-color is amazing. I can't believe it came back so well. What do you think was the difference between its full recovery and the struggles of the others?

As far as what to do with the exposed coral skeletin there are a few schools of though. Either break them off so that only healthy tissue remains, or leave it so that the flesh can grow over it more easily than it would make a new skeletin (this never works for me, but works well for MikeM who probably uses a toothbrush to keep the algae away!).

Is there any PE on the tort at all? I hope that one comes back around for you.

Phyl said:
That tri-color is amazing. I can't believe it came back so well. What do you think was the difference between its full recovery and the struggles of the others?

As far as what to do with the exposed coral skeletin there are a few schools of though. Either break them off so that only healthy tissue remains, or leave it so that the flesh can grow over it more easily than it would make a new skeletin (this never works for me, but works well for MikeM who probably uses a toothbrush to keep the algae away!).

Is there any PE on the tort at all? I hope that one comes back around for you.

I moved the Bonsai into Josh's tank immediately after discovering the flood, it didn't suffer the lack of oxygen/stress the others did being placed lower in the main tank ??? The chalice was also moved but placed to closely to the anemone.

There is PE on the base of the tort.

I'll just leave them, and try blowing the algae off.

Good for you Francis ... I'm glad things are looking up. I took your loss a little more personal because I was just at your place and saw your tank in person. It's not like someone posted about their tank and it's seen with pics. If you know what I mean... I was there and saw how beatiful your tank is.

Like I said I'm glad things are coming back.

-mike.

Francis ,it semms like everything is looking a lot better just give it time , when my Ponape Birds Nest , gets bigger ill cut you a small frag so you can get started again with it ,same goes for the orange cap ,good luck and keep us updated .

Here's another update, take a look at the pics in the beginning of the thread to see how far they've come 8)
I failed to photograph the chalice and orange cap, Chalice looks like new, the Orange Cap is having the roughest time of all the corals that were damaged. I really thought it would of been the quickest to recover.

The blue tort has great polyp extension once again although the color is still not there.

233_15_10_07_7_21_21_0.jpg

Blue tipped stag is finally coming around.

233_15_10_07_7_21_21_1.jpg

Bonsai is back in it's glory ;D

233_15_10_07_7_21_21_2.jpg