• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

the monster behind my overflow box

So time for my monthly tank cleanup. My overflow box and tube was getting to be pretty nasty. Some hairs with bubbles were also forming on the back hard to reach glass of the tank. I was able to clean the back glass, and the front overflow box, but will require some heavy duty work to clean the back overflow box that's connected to the tubing.

What's the general consensus...leave all that hair, bubbles, and whatever else is growing in that box alone or take it all down and clean it? I can only assume that the pvc piping is just as nasty. Does everyone clean the back of their glass, or should I leave that as is also and just worry about the front and the sides. Is there a general consensus on this or is it opinion?

Should I drop some snails in both boxes?

mantis32 said:
Is there a general consensus on this or is it opinion?

There is no general consensus about almost anything in this hobby ;)

It is up to you, if they are aesthetically pleasing, as long as they don't start choking and overgrowing other stuff.