• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The secret to a perfect reef tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 27248
  • Start date

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Well I am from the camp of nature is not perfect.
I believe there is no perfect tank. Death is a part of this hobby.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So what looks great to me
Might look bad to some one else. I use to think my LFS
Had a nice display. Now when I look at that tank I find All sorts of
Algae and aptasia and death. Lol

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I can definitely see both sides to this. I love the look of a natural not overcomplicated tank, but there is something mesmerizing about a sterile looking sps reef that you know takes tons of work and equipment.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I like a full spectrum tank. I run a full spectrum light for most of the day.
I like sand I won’t do a tank without sand.
I really like a old school rock wall. I don’t really like the negative space tanks.
They look nice but I don’t think the fish are happy with less rocks. I know fish are more aggressive when they don’t have a lot of rocks.
I like filtering the tank using a refugium. I try to have a complete eco-system
So I buy pods / inverts/ fish. I like a mixed reef but I tended to like LPS more.
I like using filter socks I feel they are easy to change and wash. I like 2 part (esv)
2 part is very easy for me to control. My system is in the basement and my ph is already low at 8.2 so using a calcium reactor is not in my plans.
I feed heavy. I feed pellets/flake/frozen multiple time a day.
I run carbon always. I run GFO but a small amount.

Buy fish tank.

listen to everyone and start nice and slow.

finish cycle and get 2 fish,

wait 2 weeks and get impatient, start buying coral and fish left and right because you get the itch and skip quarantine for everything.

be happy for about a week, then start fighting ich, then coral pests, then aptasia, then hair algae for the next 6 months

talk to people on forums, and local fish stores, get advice and battle each problem. Feel like a failure and drift along for a while.

learn a bunch of lessons, and recover, but tank never gets to 100%.

decide to get a second tank, and now you’re more patient because you have the first tank for impulsiveness.

take your time for real on the second tank.

ta-da, perfect tank!!!!

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Buy fish tank.

listen to everyone and start nice and slow.

finish cycle and get 2 fish,

wait 2 weeks and get impatient, start buying coral and fish left and right because you get the itch and skip quarantine for everything.

be happy for about a week, then start fighting ich, then coral pests, then aptasia, then hair algae for the next 6 months

talk to people on forums, and local fish stores, get advice and battle each problem. Feel like a failure and drift along for a while.

learn a bunch of lessons, and recover, but tank never gets to 100%.

decide to get a second tank, and now you’re more patient because you have the first tank for impulsiveness.

take your time for real on the second tank.

ta-da, perfect tank!!!!
Just two?:D

erics210

NJRC Member
My tank was looking fantastic a month+ ago. Was attempting to lower phosphates from 1.63 and Nitrates from 43 to possibly promote more growth as growth was very slow.

Had some hickup. Not sure if it was the lowering of nutrients to quickly, or one of the 4 goof ups February 17th based on my water change, flatworm exit prior to water change, that had me accidentally drain fresh water entering the sump down the python to the slop sink. Leaving me with a shortage of fresh salt mix. Drained the ATO(7-10 gallons) into the sump, scooped some water, mixed some salt, added back to the sump, turned the return back on. Blew a return pump to the frag tank, tried using a manifold valve that hadn't been used since setup 2 years prior, BAMM a load of gunk shot into the tank.
Lost soooo many SPS, many LPS including 9 torch, huge purple stylo, and a lot of favorites. Even my open brain wellso took a hit. Still alive but lost tissue we will see.

Moral of the story!!!
DO NOT CHASE NUMBERS!

Last edited:
My tanks stay the same no matter what I do: high gH, low gH, high Ca, low Ca, skimmer, grate, bare bottom, fine sand, gravel, water changes (RO and tap), no water changes.
I put Miracle Gro in just to see if something would happen. Nothing happened.
The only things that change my tanks are fish, food and light. Less is better.