• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Top down boxes

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like the size and the black acrylic on Melev's top down box. Looks a lot like v2 of Rich's top down design. I did find that I scratched the bottom acrylic on my top down because we were always putting it down wrong. It would be great if there was an edge around the bottom that allowed the bottom "foot" of acrylic to prevent the viewing surface from touching tables and such when it is put down.

Phyl, what about trying those small felt pads you put on the legs of furnature? Maybe try one in each corner of the box this way it lifts it up a little?

Yeah I didn't think of that.... I know the EPDM weather strip the same ones that are used for sump baffles, you could use a small piece for each corner.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And here I thought Rich was unveiling the prototype of R2!

Has anyone tried one of these? Its a bag for a SLR that is water proof to 15'. I've seen other models that use a uv filter that attached to the lens

aquapac.jpg

I could have used this during may last mini-break on the beach. Taking an expensive slr on a sandy beach is a recipe for a trip to the camera shop for a cleaning or a ruined camera. Leaving it the bag on the beach chair (which I did) risks theft. The Aquapac SLR Camera Case lets you use your SLR camera in and around the water without worry. It keeps the sand out, allows you to take underwater photos (to 15 feet), and it even floats. Available for about $120US at Altrec and REI.

More info. on the Aquapac site.

that bag things a good idea too. i just though of a problem if your at the beach (this might happen with the tank too) but wouldn't moister build up inside?

Maybe I'm too lazy (or just ingenious) but I pulled a 1 gallon clear freezer bag from the closet the other day and just used that. Worked pretty well.

Non of the tanks are done yet so I've been waiting. I guess I should just post what I have in Tale of the Tank since that's what it's for. I just picked up another display tank from Billy over the weekend as well as more rock from Steven so I've got more plumbing to do. :)

The pics I was talking about using the freezer bag was from my prop tank for a few Zoa trades I'm doing.

I still need/want to get a good macro lens for closeup shots to do the corals justice. <--- That's my current excuse. :)

Carlo

Tom thanks and I would just love to buy local and until now I am in need of the top down box since I will sell some corals. going to downgrade a bit and in need of cash since I did not go to work for almost a month...

Carlo what freezer bag did u use? care to elaborate :)

thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Steve, We picked up a small 2g tank and I've been using that lately. It works pretty well, all things considered. Give that a try.