• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Training Mandarins

Has anyone here every trained a mandarin to eat frozen food. If so, how long did it take you and what did you do? Thanks.

Marcus

The ones that Aqua Oceans sells eats frozen, but they can get picky and stop, it is best to make sure you have a large enough pod population before getting one, and also you will need to replenishing them once the numbers start to dwindle. I plan on setting up my own culturing tank, this way I always have a source of live food for mine.

My mandarin has eaten frozen brine shrimp since we got him from John at Underwater World. My understanding is that if they are introduced to it early enough, they tend to take to it.

Kenny Z.

I've tried every trick I can think off or have read and my green madarin won't touch anything but live pods. He won't even touch artic pods.

My spotted manderin will eat the artic pods and live baby brine (although not that healthy for them).

IMHO this is a fish you want to see eat in the store before you purchase it. If you don't have a decent size refugium they will wipe out your pod population rather quickly.

Keep in mind the rule of thumb (or Gorilla thumb- LOL) is about 70lbs live rock for a mandarin. With that much rock the mandarin will always have enough to eat.