• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tuttle Care…

I have a female aquatic turtle who is just about 3 and I took her out to the garden and she dug a nesting hole, and then left. No eggs deposited. Can anyone tell me if
A) a female non-Gravid turtle digs nests?
B) how to easily tell if she is gravid? She doesn’t really let me pick her up without swiping a lot and I don’t want to break any eggs she may have…

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
They can lay not fertile eggs. There is away to tell if gravid but 3 inches is way to small for mating. Probably digging for food.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
In that case could be. Can you stick your finger between the shell towards back leg?
My son did this with his to see if gravid.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Chameleons will do this as well. I currently have a male panther, but its always advised that if you have a female, you provide a laying bin for her in the bottom of the enclosure so she can instinctively dig, even if not gravid.

I have a bin and she hates it. I took her to thhe garden this morning and she dug another nest. This time she dug it for real, and sealed it up. But I didn’t see any deposited eggs and when I carefully excavated it I found nothing.