• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

U.V.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Found my in-tank UV and set it up for 'the SH tank. Noticed it wasn't working and took it a part. During storage broke the bulb and glass cover.
Both parts do here Mon.

Found my in-tank UV and set it up for 'the SH tank. Noticed it wasn't working and took it a part. During storage broke the bulb and glass cover.
Both parts do here Mon.
Cool best piece of equipment besides protein skimmer two things every tank should have

Cool best piece of equipment besides protein skimmer two things every tank should have
Can’t say I completely agree. It’s easy to misuse a UV light. With incorrect flow. And although I certainly see the advantage of it, assuming it’s working and set up correctly for the particular tank it’s being run on. (In full disclosure I have one and periodically utilize it). My only problem is that if we accept that it is destroying nasty bacteria and Protozoa that we don’t like. How do we prevent it from killing the ones we want. Especially the ones we don’t know about so have no way to supplement or dose do to accidental removal.
Now in your case Pauli. I feel safe in saying. Since you use ocean water and do regular water changes with it. You are constantly replacing any “good” bacteria that may get killed. So your what I would call a perfect candidate for a Sterilizer. But for tanks like mine where over time I risk potentially, slowly Removing things that I don’t want removed. I believe a caution should be given with indiscriminate killing of tiny micro fauna.
I like to use my UV in my hospital tank. If somthing isint happy and I don’t know why. Can’t honestly say if it helps. Since generally There is a lot more going on than just UV. But I have recovered. Some corals that were all but completely lost. And I’d like to think that the UV played a role in the recovery.

Can’t say I completely agree. It’s easy to misuse a UV light. With incorrect flow. And although I certainly see the advantage of it, assuming it’s working and set up correctly for the particular tank it’s being run on. (In full disclosure I have one and periodically utilize it). My only problem is that if we accept that it is destroying nasty bacteria and Protozoa that we don’t like. How do we prevent it from killing the ones we want. Especially the ones we don’t know about so have no way to supplement or dose do to accidental removal.
Now in your case Pauli. I feel safe in saying. Since you use ocean water and do regular water changes with it. You are constantly replacing any “good” bacteria that may get killed. So your what I would call a perfect candidate for a Sterilizer. But for tanks like mine where over time I risk potentially, slowly Removing things that I don’t want removed. I believe a caution should be given with indiscriminate killing of tiny micro fauna.
I like to use my UV in my hospital tank. If somthing isint happy and I don’t know why. Can’t honestly say if it helps. Since generally There is a lot more going on than just UV. But I have recovered. Some corals that were all but completely lost. And I’d like to think that the UV played a role in the recovery.
Have any of you RODI users ever considered mixing a 5 gallon bucket of ocean water along with your 5 gallon bucket of homemade water I have actually done this a couple of times usually when I am running low on my ocean water and need to stretch it and in my experience over the time have found nothing bad has come of it knock on wood so if any of you gentlemen Would like to try mixing a 5 gallon bucket of pure ocean water along with your homemade water let me know I’d be glad to help you out

BRS I believe did an episode where they talked about UV and found that UV does not affect the good bacteria in our tanks. This is because the beneficial bacteria that we DO want in our tanks live on surfaces like our rock, sand, glass and equipment and are not free floating. Because of this, UV is safe to use. Now while there is SOME BB in the water column, it's not enough to affect anything. It's comparable to doing water changes every week.

Have any of you RODI users ever considered mixing a 5 gallon bucket of ocean water along with your 5 gallon bucket of homemade water I have actually done this a couple of times usually when I am running low on my ocean water and need to stretch it and in my experience over the time have found nothing bad has come of it knock on wood so if any of you gentlemen Would like to try mixing a 5 gallon bucket of pure ocean water along with your homemade water let me know I’d be glad to help you out
I think about it all the time. Perhaps when I finish this light bracket. I will bring over a few buckets for a fill up. I like the idea of adding a couple buckets of the real deal. Just for the chance of adding unknown otherwise unattainable bacteria. Don’t get me wrong. Things are going so well tank wise. I’m more than a little nervous about such a dramatic change. But this hobby has taught me one important thing...

stability is King but Don’t be afraid to try new things. Because diversity is Queen.

BRS I believe did an episode where they talked about UV and found that UV does not affect the good bacteria in our tanks. This is because the beneficial bacteria that we DO want in our tanks live on surfaces like our rock, sand, glass and equipment and are not free floating. Because of this, UV is safe to use. Now while there is SOME BB in the water column, it's not enough to affect anything. It's comparable to doing water changes every week.
I’m well aware of the BRS series and there UV episodes. Like I said I use UV. The rub is. We all know that Something happens to our tanks overtime. And things just get better and easier. Algae becomes almost a non issue and inhabitants that you couldn’t raise before suddenly grow wonderfully. The general assumption is That bacteria levels And quite possibly unknown factors. Take place over time. Although there are some factors that we are aware of. There is definitely things going on that we absolutely don’t know (YET). It’s the unknown. That I worry so strongly about and The chance that the UV may Indiscriminately kill things. That are good. I’m not referring to the nitrifying bacteria that grows on rock. We can make and replace that at will

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I’ve thought about this before but I’ve read that there are too many pollutants close to shore to put into a small tank. Do you filter your sea water before you put it in your tank? I would definitely use the real sea water if the pollutants weren’t an issue.

I’ve thought about this before but I’ve read that there are too many pollutants close to shore to put into a small tank. Do you filter your sea water before you put it in your tank? I would definitely use the real sea water if the pollutants weren’t an issue.
I don’t filter my water because I get it from 10mil offshore nice and clean ,I also never filter bay water you just have to make sure that the water area your using has good flow m current, and never near a marina their the worst,, if you want you can drain it into another bucket thru a pair of pantyhose and all good but remember to always aerate the water while waiting to use it

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I don’t filter my water because I get it from 10mil offshore nice and clean ,I also never filter bay water you just have to make sure that the water area your using has good flow m current, and never near a marina their the worst,, if you want you can drain it into another bucket thru a pair of pantyhose and all good but remember to always aerate the water while waiting to use it
Interesting. Thanks Paulie for the info

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So noticed a burning smell and wife said was the BBQ grill.
Later saw that the UV light was off. Took it apart and water by n the unit.
I dried it it but lift still out and pump works.
Going to toss it and start over with a new one.

I think about it all the time. Perhaps when I finish this light bracket. I will bring over a few buckets for a fill up. I like the idea of adding a couple buckets of the real deal. Just for the chance of adding unknown otherwise unattainable bacteria. Don’t get me wrong. Things are going so well tank wise. I’m more than a little nervous about such a dramatic change. But this hobby has taught me one important thing...

stability is King but Don’t be afraid to try new things. Because diversity is Queen.
I’ll hook you up with water anytime brother