• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Undecided on MH Bulbs

I want to get new MH bulbs in the next PA Group Buy, but I'm not sure which bulb to get. I currently run two 250W 20k XM bulbs on ARO ballasts with two 110W Super Actinic VHO's. My tank is 26" deep. I like the bluer color, but I think I'm sacrificing growth. I was trying to decide between the Hamilton 14K or the Reeflux 12K. Can anyone speak from their experience to help me decide?

Thanks.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Never tried the 14K. I'm running the Reeflux 12K. It's my favorite bulb so far. Chrisp white and just enough blue.

malulu

NJRC Member
NEWSALT Mike,

- i think it all depends on your personal taste, you may want to find someone with the light that you going to have and stop by to take a look to decide for sure.

- my coral-life-aqual-pro light comes with 3 x 10K bulbs
- heard people saying more blue looks better
- so, when the time comes, i upgraded them all to 20K, don't like it - too blue!
- now i replacement them with 14K (still think a bit blue to me)
- then i have them as (10k, 14k, 10k).
- next time, i am going to try with (10k, 12k, 10k).

Note:
i don't believed in to replace all bulbs at the same time, it think it would be a shock to the creatures if we replace all bulbs at the same time. i replace 1 bulb at a time for every 3 months, that way, each bulb will last for 9 months.
:D

good luck on your light hunt...
;)

When I ran MH I tried every combo out there. 10K with actinic, 14K with/without, 20K with/without

I finally decided that 14K with actinic supplementation was perfect for me. White enough and blue enough.

Of course...every mnfc bulbs look different!

Mike,
I have a 14k XM on my one tank the the reeflux 12'k on another if you want to come by and see the difference, I like the 12K better.

That's probably a good idea to see someones tank that is using the lights I'm interested in. Tom's River is a bit of a ride for me though. Is there anyone in the Middlesex or Somerset County area that is using either Hamilton 14K, Reeflux 10k or the Reeflux 12K that I could come and see?

Mike,
You'll like the 12k it seems to be the best of both worlds just enough blue for the colors and growth is pretty close to running a 10K. I really don't like the 14K it's a little too blue for my taste, growth isn't that great and it seems duller than the 12K (not as bright)Hope that helps some, to bad you weren't closer.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Reeflux 10Ks are not blue enough for you (using 250w bulbs-- the 10K 400s are a nice blue color). I'd go with 14s. If you're running 20s now, even 12s are going to be a shock to you.