• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ups

Any suggestions on a good ups to get for your wave makers/pump?

I know BRSTV made a video on it but wanted to compare different options.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you watch the BRS video. The UPs didn’t work well.
If you have ecotech I would get their battery.
It will last a lot longer than UPs for about the same price. It will also lower you pumps to 50%

If you don’t have ecotech then I would look at the ice cap. It will work with gyre and a lot of pumps.
It also last a long time.

Last is what I use I got a cheap generator.
I can hook up my return line and as long as I can get gas I can keep it running

I got a cyberpower UPS that had 4 outlets for non battery and 4 that do use it, a 5W wave maker is connected to the battery back up and brand new got 7h, year and a half later (now) im getting only 4 hours. They are better than nothing but go bad quick and likely need to replace the battery, so like Amado mentioned, a proper battery backup wilk be better in the long run to support the wave maker until you get the generator started.

Last edited:
What model is your cyber power?

I got a cyberpower UPS that had 4 outlets for non battery and 4 that do use it, a 5W wave maker is connected to the battery back up and brand new got 8h, year and a half later (now) im getting only 4 hours. They are better than nothing but go bad quick and likely need to replace the battery, so like Amado mentioned, a proper battery backup wilk be better in the long run to support the wave maker until you get the generator started.

I got a old thread from doing some tests with the CyberSurge ST900U. Its better than nothing, especially when your using a wavemaker that doesn't have a dedicated backup. I do plan on getting a icecap backup battery for my gyre, as the only ones I've seen for sale at the time were for ecotechs.

Thanks. I'll look into the icecap as well. Initially I was under the impression the bigger the ups the better but clearer after reading into it its not the case. Hope you're not suffering from this outage.

It was enough time to get the generator up, but getting over a day of the wavemaker running is definitely easier in the mind. I haven't looked into the specs, I thought only ecotech made backups, but just learned about that icecap made backups thats compatible with different brands from this thread, so that's great! The gyre is great and they seem to make good equiptment at a good price (compared to the competition).

Big UPS cost $$ and warranty is void if used on aquariums. Jersey is OK for getting away with heaters off for a lil time, its most important to keep the water oxygenated and either skip feeding or cut back (depending if your fish can deal with it) to reduce pollution.

Do you have a generator for the whole house? or just the tank?

It was enough time to get the generator up, but getting over a day of the wavemaker running is definitely easier in the mind. I haven't looked into the specs, I thought only ecotech made backups, but just learned about that icecap made backups thats compatible with different brands from this thread, so that's great! The gyre is great and they seem to make good equiptment at a good price (compared to the competition).

It's a portable one for the house sump and fridge, I only connect my cheap power head (heater too if needed) as I don't wanna risk the more expensive equipment getting damaged. I'm not an electrician, just going off what I heard from someone else, lol.

Icecap doesnt make the 1k and 3k gyres anymore, they are replaced byt the 2k and 4k.

Last edited:
Oh alright. I got a generator for the house. But I was thinking about hooking up a mini portable one just for the tank.