• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Urchins

radiata

NJRC Member
Last week I picked up a Desjardin Tang from Aquatic Obsessions to control my Valonia. Thirty odd years ago a reefer friend of mine first made the observation on this tang's diet preference. He had a 125G on one side of his library, and another 125 on the other side. They were connected to a central sump in his basement. One tank had bubble algae, and the other didn't. The only difference was the Desjardin in the one without bubble algae. I'll post the reefer's name when it comes to me. (Oops... a little Chianti Blur?) I shouldn't be forgetting it because he gave me his 180 when he made an unfortunately fatal mistake and bailed out of reefing as a result. I subsequently bought the 150 Rubbermaid and live rock he had in the basement. Kind of sad for a guy whose license plate actually read REEFMAN.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have two Desjardin one of them is a high fin.
I found that you need a bunch of different algae eaters.
Fox face also eat bubble algae.

radiata

NJRC Member
I have two Desjardin one of them is a high fin.
I found that you need a bunch of different algae eaters.
Fox face also eat bubble algae.

Hmmm, I haven't heard of a high fin Desjardin until now. Are there two different species, each with their own Genus/Species classification?