• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

urgent lighting ?

I'm going on vacation tomorrow and my 10 k bulb just burnt out :mad:
my light fixture is 2X65 pc's...(1) 10k and (1) actininc
i have a backup bulb but its 50/50 (10k & actinic)
will the tank be ok with mostly actinic lighting for a week? (1)50/50 and (1) actinic ?
i have never in 15 years tried all actinic lighting as my main lights am im a little worried . ...my flight is at 8 am so going out to get one in the morning is not an option( besides the wife would kill me)

whats your experience with this / any help is appreciated ...thanks ....al

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Re: lighting ?

Your tank/corals will be fine with actinics only for a week. If they can go 3-5 days with no light at all I would think that a week with actinics is ok. I have gone 4 days with just actinics in the summer time to keep the heat down and every5hing survived just fine.

Enjoy your vacation.

thats a relief..thanks ...i think ill still worry a little.
after rebounding from the crash in feb '07, i have not left the tank for more then 2 days on auto pilot...i guess here is my test of faith.

update....got back yesterday and everything seems to be ok, all auto systems worked fine

10 days of actinic only was not a disaster, i guess it was just like a stormy week in the tropics.
the only thing i see is that could be a problem is i lost a little tissue on the two echino frags but other then that all is ok. i picked up a new 10k bulb this morning and im off to go change it and some water...see you all later...happy reefing.....al