• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Vermetids?

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
So of course 8 days aways from the tank and come back to an outbreak of something. Afraid these are Vermetid Snails and have them all over, but they are a little different in appearance than what I've seen before. Anyone help me confirm what I think I have here? Also, what is the best approach you've had the most success with to combat said critters?

MVIMG_20190908_162546.jpg

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
They are all (probably closing in on 100... stopped counting) very small (1/4" or less) and don't have the typical Vermetid base, color or obvious two snail antenna sticking out. No mucus nets either.

Looks like vermetids to me. I have them as well. And yes often they have a large snail like swirl at the base. But not always. I have not yet found away to get rid of them.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Wild. Only thing I've recently added to the tank is the bubble tip from ACC and they shouldn't have been able to attach to an anemone since they have no solid structures. No apparent harm to any coral yet, but I'll be manually removing what I can get to.

They don't harm anything. And once you have them, you will never not have them. I've never seen a reef tank without them at least somewhere. For all that you can see there are a bunch that are in places you can't.
At worst they are an eyesore if they get out of hand. But like most other hitchhikers they come and go with nutrients.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Melanarus wrasses will eat them. You can cut the base with coral cutters to kill them but you have to cut pretty far down. They can annoy and kill some corals, so you have to make a decision if you want them hanging around your tank.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Melanarus wrasses will eat them. You can cut the base with coral cutters to kill them but you have to cut pretty far down. They can annoy and kill some corals, so you have to make a decision if you want them hanging around your tank.
Already have a Hoeven's in this tank and I'm going to at least thin out the ones I can reasonably get at without having to take the rockwork completely apart

I just read that bumble bee snails eat them as well but there is some risk with them eating zoas. However if you are a heavy handed feeder. As I am. That would not be an issue as apparently they only eat zoas if food is not available If anyone else has experience with them. I’d love to hear it

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had bumble bee snails and they didn't touch them. I had an emerald crab that loved them. I thought all emerald crabs found them taste. I gave mine to a reefer in clifton last Jan. The vermetids started to be visible and irritating the near by corals with their webs. Decided to get two emerald crabs and neither touched the vermetids. I bleached all my rocks which are in bins now gathering bacteria since April. Hope to not get them again.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
I had bumble bee snails and they didn't touch them. I had an emerald crab that loved them. I thought all emerald crabs found them taste. I gave mine to a reefer in clifton last Jan. The vermetids started to be visible and irritating the near by corals with their webs. Decided to get two emerald crabs and neither touched the vermetids. I bleached all my rocks which are in bins now gathering bacteria since April. Hope to not get them again.
I've used Emerald Crabs for them before as well, but cautious of them due to their other potential opportunistic feeding habits. May chance a couple of them and some bumblebees and see how it goes. Much more practical than pulling all of my rock out. Anyone know a good source (local preferred) for the bumblebees? LiveAquaria is currently sold out and they are my usual go to for Inverts.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
The ones I had were from ACC. We will be having a monthly meeting there next month

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
I’m certain. Any place can get them. If they don’t already have them in stock
Found some on saltwaterfish.com and added a few emerald crabs as well. Going to hit a few rocks with my small bone cutters tonight, but will see if these guys can get into the spots I can't easily get to. Won't eradicate them, just looking to control their spread. Cheers!