• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Warning: Flat Worm Exit adversly affects brittle stars and bristle worms

From the instructions for Flat Worm Exit, it seems that it is not supposed to have any effects on any other oganisms except the flatworms. However, couple of days ago, I have applied Flat Worm Exit in the dosage that was slightly less then prescribed and while none of my LPS, SPS, soft corals, fish, snails, hermits and shrimps were not affected, the medication had serious effect on bristleworms (it was killing them) and brittle stars. Both large species (I have serpent and bubble tip brittle) and variety of micro brittle stars (white and stripped) were dropping from rocks trying to "escape" , convulsing on the sand and expelling something. Fortunately I removed them as fast as possible so I don't know if they would have died or not, but they were in really bad shape and were in shock for almost two days. They are still separated until I do some serious water changes.

While their reaction can be the result of the toxins released by the flatworms, I doubt it because they have started reacting immediately even before any of the flatworms had died and the number of flatworms was very small to start with. Whichever it is, it doesn't matter, be careful when you are dosing that stuff.

mladencovic said:
From the instructions for Flat Worm Exit, it seems that it is not supposed to have any effects on any other oganisms except the flatworms. However, couple of days ago, I have applied Flat Worm Exit in the dosage that was slightly less then prescribed and while none of my LPS, SPS, soft corals, fish, snails, hermits and shrimps were not affected, the medication had serious effect on bristleworms (it was killing them) and brittle stars. Both large species (I have serpent and bubble tip brittle) and variety of micro brittle stars (white and stripped) were dropping from rocks trying to "escape" , convulsing on the sand and expelling something. Fortunately I removed them as fast as possible so I don't know if they would have died or not, but they were in really bad shape and were in shock for almost two days. They are still separated until I do some serious water changes.

While their reaction can be the result of the toxins released by the flatworms, I doubt it because they have started reacting immediately even before any of the flatworms had died and the number of flatworms was very small to start with. Whichever it is, it doesn't matter, be careful when you are dosing that stuff.

Sorry to hear, that's unfortunate. I've used FWE several times and have even used more than the recommended dosage and did not see any effects on my small brittle stars, and the bristle worms... nothing seems to get to them. In fact my only complaint with FWE is that it kills the flatworms off quickly but they're always back weeks later, even when I've tried using more than the standard dosage.