• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water change problems!

So I did a water change and my Apex is telling me that my alk dropped from 9 to 7.41dkh. My mag dropped from 1200 to 1035 ppm.
I used IO.

How fuc*ed am I? And what should I do to fix the issue?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
What salt mix do you use and how much did you change out? Each salt mixes at different levels. You can add some manually or up your doser a little until it catches back up.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would calibrate the trident. I would also check with a Hanna.
Use reef crystals instead of io it’s more consistent.
I wouldn’t trust trident.

trust but verify !!

So I did a water change and my Apex is telling me that my alk dropped from 9 to 7.41dkh. My mag dropped from 1200 to 1035 ppm.
I used IO.

How fuc*ed am I? And what should I do to fix the issue?
Instant ocean has a higher DKH than 9...so i would be skeptical of that reading. Everytime I do a water change with IO, i have to worry about my alk spiking!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your testing is off either in your salinity being very low or testing of alk, calc and mag. Instant Ocean at 35 ppt should be around 400 Calc, 11 dkh Alk and 1350 Mag.

john90009

NJRC Member
Check with a salifert before you make and changes. My trident shows lower numbers when the liquid in my container gets under 20 percent. When I see my number change more then the usual shift that’s when I test with salifert.

Definitely confirm those numbers before you do anything. Test salinity, test Alk, test mag, test calcium. I bet you'll be surprised

erics210

NJRC Member
IF the BUCKET, you are supposed to shake that stuff well to mix it as many elements settle different in transport.