• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water chemistry and consistency in ur systems

As you know it is difficult to ballence and test for all variables in any system big or small. Here at the club we are focused on some of the more advanced versions of aquarium water chemistry.
Here I will talk about water basics, minerals, vitamins, and conditioners to start. As well as the differences in salts and salt additives like two part and such.

I also would be posting the basic theories of a few different systems based in salt water along with practices like to water change. Or to replenish minerals and not water change and larger flow or Fowler systems.
One introduction is my main synopsis and theory. No mater what system consistency is key.

One main peramiters contributes to two others that is amoina which can break down into nitrite which turns to nitrates there aren't many natural ways to remove amoina but would say cheato algea will but primarily uses nitrites and phosphates but u could use a combination of algea and manjo anemones.

Small fast replicating filter feeders will removes some of these from the water column. Another candidate would be claims or probly better suited the sea squirt or tunacates. But I recommend a veriaty of macro and micro plants/ algea. One side note wich I think others can try is to slowly aclitmate a pothos plant to salts and then use that, but be forewarned it will take as very long time to do this and recommend 3 clippings to expiremnet on just place in jar of water and slowly add drops of saltwater to the system like once a week.

Amino acids not only will feed the tanks filter feeders but will also aid in binding or altering some of the elements like free amoina or nitrates. I post another theory everyone can try and this is a faster easier expiremnet. To basicly take fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice to dose the tank I recommend 1 drop per gallon. It would also work to carbon dose the tank. To show some of the info this is a calculation between lemon lime and olive oil. Total Amino Acids for Lemon juice raw, Lime Juice, and Olive Oil

I would recommend a variation of vitiamns or carbon dosing. Now I don't mean Centrum one a day lol but I do mean any base format of vitiamn preferably in liquid form. Or mineral block. U can use wonder shell it's primarily calcium and bicarbonate with trace elements. I no longer use it because all of the set up of my water ends up with a lot of calcium. The main formats of wonder shell is calcium. There are loads of elements in it which are beneficial for living waters. I no longer have a good low flow location easliy accessible but I already put loads of elements into the water and was over doing it with that including use of wonder shell.

My main ingredients for water changes are tap water wich has a tds of about 200 and minimal phosphates. Instant Ocean reef crystals and accurel water kit minus the water clarifier. (A drop of potassium to five gallons) and also prime secem. Takes a couple days to set up water. First is storage of tap water it sits for at least 20min then the prime and accurel water conditioners and a drop or two of potassium to 5gallons water. That mix sits for at least a day and then I mix the salt to the 5gallon bucket and then that sits for at least 1.5-2days. Salenity of 1.26-1.27. End results are optimal water quality with 8to 8.5 ph proper alkalinity and optimal slightly elevated macro micro trace elements. I have tested all I am able to the basic values and know exactly what I'm adding based on volumetric math and introduced elements. I would like a full read out from trident but I haven't the money for it yet. When I do I'll update info with quantitative measurements. Another good read is
Water Quality - Total Alkalinity and Hardness / Aquarium Fish / Recreation / Consumer Resources / Marketing and Development / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
explains more of what I didn't with the wondershells in a parralel based on limestone and natural mineral sources

This cycles back to my main statement of consistency and your setups. Dosent matter wat ur growing in an aquarium OR terrarium or green house. Consicsentcy is key! I have 2 turtle tanks about 12 tanks. Also 1small indoor garden and aquaculture set up and a veritiay of plants and 1 propagation table. Some of these plants are being grown outside in planter beds and flower pots but all get consistent treatments.

A RUTIEN IS A MUST and always anticipate ur next move. I suggest to keep a resuviour and surplus in ur nesesity your never wanting not to prepared for emergency medicine or w.c.
As for what I would call water health, any system especially saltwater we need to know our base and what we add to create our matrix. This is what we use to ballence our eco system. Just to reiterate an old saying. "Reefers don't keep fish they maintain good water conditions." Lol something like that. I'll tell you why, the one factor of successfully keeping reefs is consistency in the water peramiters.
If you understand this, then understanding the chemistry and the dosing or adjustsments of systems will be easy and if we key in on exactly the proper base with the water column and habitat geared towards the live stock then we will always have success.
So to truly hone this in then I must ask you to take head as if you start testing and adjusting everything directly too quickly that will cause loads of harm. But after testing and research on ur account to the system you keep. I say this in quote. "The solution to pollution is dilution." So over time while doing your normal reutin you add daily 10% to 20% water changes with a really good base saltwater reserves that u consider what elements u need to replenish. That means u do on a regular w.c. day after u are done a few hrs later optimally you add the extra 10%-20% w.c. and in more extreme cases you may want to elevate the minerals or peramiters missing. Just a note this will only take a few days in a small system bellow 30gallons. A bigger system could takes weeks in really big systems.
So for instance magniusm do that over a course of a couple days. But in a nut shell know your base water and the system requirements of what you want to keep.
This has to be broken up into more parts leave a like at the bottom and I will make part two. Where I will share info on minerals vitamins and water flow and filtration. Seems the key points to my thesis is going to be broken into segments. This concludes basic water set up for water changes. If you would like to go over a different topic sooner leave a comment on what you would like. But I will eventually cover flow current and filtration. Bio diversity surface area and media vs. Volume. To cover the "tools" For ballnceing ecosystems. But don't forget about lighting spectrums or the importance of sustainable food sources. If anything else I will run through the list in theses segments. Hope this was enteraiting. A friendly reminder of research then act and use patience. have a great day!
1532809048924815994189.jpg